Polypropylene glue/adhesive question

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck glueing polypropylene. If so, what product did you use?

seasick

Reaction score
are you referring to HDPE, high Density Polyethelene or do you really mean polyprpylene? Starboard is a HDPE product
Regardless, neither is easy to glue. I have seen videos of some success for starboard that uses a special adhesive and a flame treatment of the joints before glueing. I think a Ca type super glue was used.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have used the 2 part

Loctite Plastic Bonding System on polyethylene. It claims to work with polypropylene too.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
are you referring to HDPE, high Density Polyethelene or do you really mean polyprpylene? Starboard is a HDPE product
Regardless, neither is easy to glue. I have seen videos of some success for starboard that uses a special adhesive and a flame treatment of the joints before glueing. I think a Ca type super glue was used.
Not starboard but the white/translucent polypropylene. I tried J-B Weld Plastic Bonder and no luck. I'll look into the stuff family affair recommended.

seasick

Reaction score
I used that stuff on a large plastic garbage bin but it didn't hold up. It originally seemed OK but under stress it failed.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I used that stuff on a large plastic garbage bin but it didn't hold up. It originally seemed OK but under stress it failed.
For the record, I made no claims to its performance, other than it did glue 2 parts together.:)