Pompanette ladder back chair slide/spider assembly

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My Pomanette ladder back helm chair slides/spider assembly are getting worn out and won't tighten down to prevent the chair from spinning anymore. The assembly that came on the chair is 16 x 6.75" . The My original slides were made by Garelick - no luck searching Garelick, Springfield and Wise. I sent an email to Pompanette and they said they could source the assembly in 8 - 12 weeks for 500 bucks a piece. Has anyone replaced their seat slides on the Pompanette ladder back chairs with a more reasonable cost? Thanks for any tips

seasick

Reaction score
I am surprised that you can't solve the spinning issue with either a cleaning of the clamping mechanism or a new plastic bushing.
In any case, the most critical dimension of the slider is the mounting screw spacing. After that the overall dimensions are important just for clearance but you may find several bases of different outside dimension's with the same bolt pattern.

seasick

Reaction score
I just found this but I don't think it has anything to do with rotation, just sliding. Here it is anyway

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just found this but I don't think it has anything to do with rotation, just sliding. Here it is anyway
Thanks, I did see this and it is one that does not attach to a pedestal - the search goes on - This particular assembly does not have the cup bushing which would solve the issue but there is no cup that fits in the pedestal bracket and if there was one it would be tioo tight to get the chair back on the pedestal. This model uses a plastic ring pedestal that sits between the top of the chair and the pedestal so it is not in the range of the tightening mechanism.
The other issue - all of the assemblies I have found have a 5 inch standard bolt spacing and the Pompnaette chair has 5 1/2 inch spacing - Thanks for the suggestion though I do appreciate the help Seasick

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with your search

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with your search
I might just try a time tested solution with couple of wraps of duct tape around the pedestal - if that does not work maybe try the hammer :)

seasick

Reaction score
Would it be possible to drill new mounting holes in those sliders you found?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It would be but because it is 3 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower it would interfere with the slide operation

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I dealt with Pompanette a number of times over the last 25 years. As an individual owner they pretty much are terrible. They don't really "get it" and quite honestly don't care. I guess they get their business from boat builders but it is hard to turn crap custom service on and off depending on who you deal with. I would look elsewhere.

Over the years I had a full fighting chair and various helm seats. Getting someone to talk to or getting parts is a wast of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legend

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used a Todd slider. It was a bit longer and I had to cut a little bit of plastic off the bottom front of chair.. I don't remember drilling any new holes but maybe.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/helm-seat-height-and-other-seat-discussions.28942/post-186189
Where did you get that slider? I just bought and returned a Todd Super Slider, part number 5201A. The plate was the wrong size. Like you said I could have made the length work as it was just slightly too long but it was only 71/4 inches wide and the space on the bottom of my seat is 9 1/2. You look to have the same seats as me and that plate seems to fit well. Any help is much appreciated!! I'm right in the middle of this right now.