Pompanette Vinyl Armrest Restoration?

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, however I am unable to locate specific information. I have a 2006 Tournament 225 and I had all of the seats and bolsters reupholstered. The helm seats however have solid vinyl arm rests that are stained. I see on forums that there are vinyl paints specifically for this application yet nobody posts exactly what those paints are... my upholster could be classified as off - white. Has anyone had any experience with Pompanette vinyl armrests?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try a pair of off white ankle socks - eliminate the tee shirt grab and looks great - they get dirty toss them in the wash

rlefevre

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Take them off they are only in the way in my opinion

Reactions: Timbo

seasick

Reaction score
You need to search this forum for info. There are many posts about this subject.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I would be interested also if someone was able to paint these with success, not interested in a sock. I've tried to clean mine by soaking in Starbrite but it is like the finish of these things degrade. As a result you have a super clean armrest that looks like crap.

seasick

Reaction score
Seriously, search this forum for titles containing 'armrests' ' There are many posts about cleaning, painting covering with socks, taking off permanently , replacing with new rest etc.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Seriously, search this forum for titles containing 'armrests' ' There are many posts about cleaning, painting covering with socks, taking off permanently , replacing with new rest etc.
OK why not share where someone has painted these and they have withstood the test of time. I could paint a turd, it may look good at first but what will it look like after a season or two.

seasick

Reaction score
I knew an old salt who would paint his vinyl seat cushions s with Rustoleum. To my amazement, the cushions looked pretty good and held up for a few seasons and then he would re-spray.
That was a while ago and before vinyl specific spray paint so I would think that todays products are better. To be fair, his cushions looked pretty bad and aged. I think that may have been an advantage for painting since the surface had more bite than newer vinyl would have:)
I, too, would like to hear how the new paints are holding up. I see that Pettit has a new product out but I haven't seen reviews yet.

Reactions: Harrysea and NYA1

seasick

Reaction score
Search for the title Dirty Arm Rests by fathergoose. Look for the post by DocStressor and his method of spot removal

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can check with pompanette website. They sell arm replacements for the Deluxe II chair. If the earlier model, you may have to clean or search out for the covers that were sold a few years ago on the web.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
SEM Vinyl Coat in Ranger Off-White is a nearly perfect match for the Pompanette armrests and it lasts a season or two before repainting. I use a light sanding block to smooth the vinyl surface and then clean with soap and water before spraying on two coats of the vinyl coat.

Attachments

• E14A580C-586E-422A-96AF-47522A746E76.jpeg
    E14A580C-586E-422A-96AF-47522A746E76.jpeg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 264743AA-0830-42C1-8D8B-717448D1DFE2.jpeg
    264743AA-0830-42C1-8D8B-717448D1DFE2.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just emailed Gladys at Pompanette about this issue. She said they sell covers, I paid for some, and after two weeks of not getting them I emailed her. She said their supplier of the covers that slip over these armrests has discontinued them, there are no more from Pompanette. I ended up buying two full arms, $235 each. They come with a different fabric that doesn't get nasty.

Ripple

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
After looking at all the options from cotton socks, to “painting”, to ordering new from Pompanette, I took them to a marine upholstery shop and had new covers made at a LOW cost. After two full seasons, still look brand new.