Pop-out gunwale step

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I was looking at some Freedom 275s today on boattrader just for fun and noticed they have a little pop-out step under the starboard gunwale. Is that an option I could get on my 235?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe what you're referring to is the "cockpit step" on the starboard side of the boat? It does say that it is an available option for the 235 Freedom, but only if you don't have the wet bar. If you scroll down to "optional features", it's the second item listed.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

Mzeoli

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
$1400 from the dealer. Crazy!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
$1,400 for a step is pretty crazy. That being said, if you're already spending $200k on a brand new boat, what is another $1,400? :D

Mzeoli

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
My 2008 GW 275 Tournament is no where that price but was looking for a cockpit step because it's so damn deep to step in. That's where the dealer quoted me that price. I'll look for some alternative that's not so expensive.

Mzeoli

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Thanks. I was told it wouldn't hold the full weight of a person as a step. Simply a foot rest

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is an actual boarding step - it's roughly $300 from a Sea Ray dealer. I'm not sure who actually makes it, though. Of course, you'd have to figure out a way to mount it.

1801861.GIF

• Sad
Reactions: vocz

Mzeoli

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Thanks will look into this.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 2002 Sailfish 282 had a "foot-rest" at the helm and companion seat side, and I have stood on each of those many many times, while working in the overhead electronics compartment. They looked just like the one in the photo, and I know they call it a foot rest, but I just dont believe that it will not hold the weight of full grown man.

Here's a link to several similar options: Folding footrest/step

You could always add a hinged "prop" made of a piece of Kingstarboard, and would support the step, when opened.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My 2002 Sailfish 282 had a "foot-rest" at the helm and companion seat side, and I have stood on each of those many many times, while working in the overhead electronics compartment. They looked just like the one in the photo, and I know they call it a foot rest, but I just dont believe that it will not hold the weight of full grown man.

Here's a link to several similar options: Folding footrest/step

You could always add a hinged "prop" made of a piece of Kingstarboard, and would support the step, when opened.
my 305 has a similar "foot rest" for my helm and companion chairs. I do stand on them from time to time to reach the front of the hardtop. They have held my weight so far. Years ago I got a cockpit step box for helping get in and out of the boat on the dock. It's useful both in the boat and on low floating docks to step up into the boat. it also doubles as storage. I got it for both reasons as there is a lack of storage space on gradys.
https://www.westmarine.com/todd-deluxe-tournament-cockpit-step-16953374.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>Anchor & Docking2023&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KLD0fuegwMVTFFHAR0t6QDJEAQYASABEgK7lfD_BwE

Last edited:

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I was looking at some Freedom 275s today on boattrader just for fun and noticed they have a little pop-out step under the starboard gunwale. Is that an option I could get on my 235?
I have one on my Fisherman 236 and have never used it. In fact I am thinking of getting rid of it because it blocks my rod storage in the gunnel. Most docks are the right height for easy access on or off the boat anyway.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think your best bet would be to use the Euro transom and step off the boat that way onto the dock, if it's level. Or, if you wanted to dock on the passenger or port side of the boat, you could always step up on the passenger seat to get over the gunwale. That's one of the many joys of having a walkaround style of boat in that you've got the step up to the walkaround right in the center of the boat. Which helps out quite nicely with docking or stepping off the boat, or the rear seats are also great for standing up on.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I just ended up getting a nice Yeti cooler that fits perfectly right there. Just the right height to use as a step. Put a SeaDek pad on top for non-slip.

Fishtales

Reaction score
$1400 from the dealer. Crazy!
Ya think? Talk about looking out for your customers.... You think they'd be happy enough with the jing made off the boat sale....