Pop-Up Cleats...PIA

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I just brought home my new to me 04 265Express last night- Had a great ride in 2-4's which the boat handled awesome. But, I think I found my first gripe with this model. Those pop-up cleats look awesome, but are real difficult to get the loop of the line through the middle of the horn on the cleat.

Has anyone figured out how to replace these without a ton of hassle?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Maybe your dock lines are oversize?

I don't have that problem, however when I first got mine the cleats hadn't been used in a long time and were very difficult to "pop" up. They aren't a problem any more. I love the look of them and for fishing at the stern the only thing better would be inboard.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
What size lines are you using?

I have my fenders looping through the cleat, the aft line looped around the cleat and the spring line looping through the cleat to lock down the aft line. Bottom line is that I pass two 1/2" lines through mine and there is plenty of room.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
no problem on mine with 1/2" lines.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
thanks all- it is not the 1/2inch dock lines that are causing an issue- it is the 5/8" Mooring lines. I have regular 3 strand, I may just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the $170 braided harness. I would bet the braid is just enough easier to work with that it may work.

seabob4

Reaction score
Depends a great deal on whether your cleats are 6" or 8". That might have been said in the original thread...

Bill_N

Reaction score
Buy double braid 1/2" lines. Figure out what lengths you need and order them online. I bought mine at Defender.