Poppet valve replacement

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have twin 2004 F225 Yamahas with about 300 hrs and am thinking of replacing the valves. I have read the procedure on the SIM Yamaha site and it doesn't seem to be too difficult but I was wondering if anyone has done it and have any comments or tips?

seasick

Reaction score
Go fishing instead. If you don't have symptoms, I don't see a need to fix something that isn't broken. Should a poppet go bad, you may overheat at idle or slow speed. Speed up and the motor will cool down. You won't get stranded.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks- makes sense to me. I have the valves and I'll just keep them on hand when the day comes to change them out. One less thing to do this spring! Thanks for the input.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you already have the parts, I'd say do it. The longer those bolts stay in the harder they are to get out. Just DON'T let the grommet pop in the motor, you'd be suprised how easy it was for it to happen.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog, where is the grommet you mention? I don't see it on the instructions or the exploded view of the motor. Thanks

ahill

Reaction score
Grog's advice on the grommet is right on.
Its a rubber washer that the valve sits in and is easy to lose.
Unless your overheat alarm sounds at normal idle, save what you bought and flush your motors after each use.
My '98 OX 66's needed the valves changed last year.