Popping out of gear

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good afternoon my friends, I put on a pair of new to me 1997 OX 66 250's last fall. Just recently the starboard engine has been randomly popping out of gear , not every trip, but enough to be annoying. I tightened the turn buckle as far as it would go, hoping to keep it from popping out, but that didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Glen

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From what you said it may be that your linkage is either loose, or out of adjustment. One other possibility that happened to me two years ago. I was having a difficult time going in and out of gear, particularly reverse, and keeping the port engine throttle at the RPM I wanted. after scratching my noggin' for weeks, I found that the plastic clamp on the inside of the cowling that holds the linkage in place had inadvertently opened. I either did it when changing out filters or fuel filters. With the clamp open the linkage housing was bending and making moving the throttle in and our of gear difficult. I closed the clamp, added a zip tie just to add strength, and that solved my issue with the throttle.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank you sir, I will go down tonight and tinker a bit, and see if that helps.
Glen

seasick

Reaction score
Tatt00z said:
Good afternoon my friends, I put on a pair of new to me 1997 OX 66 250's last fall. Just recently the starboard engine has been randomly popping out of gear , not every trip, but enough to be annoying. I tightened the turn buckle as far as it would go, hoping to keep it from popping out, but that didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Glen
You need to determine if the shift linkage is moving far enough ( that is rotating a large enough arc).
To do so, remove the clevis pin separating the shift cable end from the lower unit shift rod and manually rotate the shift rod making sure it is fully engaged. Now shift the control all the way to what would be the normal in gear position and see if the cable clevis allines with the shiftier rod. If it is short, you need to adjust the clevis to line up.

Other things to check:
The clamp holding the shifter cable at the motor may be undone as mentioned or broken
The shifter cable it self could be bad. Pulling and pushing on the cable center wire should not result is the cable sliding in or out of the sheath assuming the shifter control doesn't move
Make sure that the shifter handle is not moving while under power.
In rare cases certain problems with the lower unit can cause it ti slip out of gear.
Good luck

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank you sir, going out this afternoon and trying the things you mentioned. Will keep you posted. Thanks again. Glen