Portable Generators: Honda or Yamaha?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably doesn't belong here, but since it involves maintenance of my Grady, here goes. Any of our readers have a strong preference for either? Both are pricey, but I know both brands represent quality. Have probably owned more Yamaha products than other brands, including home electronics, and I really trust them. I need something to charge my batteries in case the maintenance people at my marina turn off the power to the outlets. Recommendations on where to buy? Thanks.

finnaddict

Reaction score
If its just to charge the batteries why not just buy a trickle charger and bring the batteries home with You.Would end up a lot cheaper.I do like the question of a portable generator and if anyone does use one while underway(what kind, how they secure it,etc)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Honda runs great , very quiet. I do not use while underway though. Mainly if I am on a mooring somewhere overnight.

timberxx

Reaction score
it may take a long time to recharge two or more batteries. maybe as long as 10 hours per battery.

both the yamaha and honda don't have enough amps to run the quick chargers.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Generators

timberxx said:
it may take a long time to recharge two or more batteries. maybe as long as 10 hours per battery.

What wattage would be sufficient to run a charger?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're using a battery charger not the generator's 12V leads, it will have more than enough power for a charger. A 2000W generator can give you 114 amps at 14V if you have %80 efficiency.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks

Grog said:
If you're using a battery charger not the generator's 12V leads, it will have more than enough power for a charger. A 2000W generator can give you 114 amps at 14V if you have %80 efficiency.

Thanks, Grog, that's what I was looking for - some hard numbers. Appreciate it.

ahill

Reaction score
timberxx said:

My 2000 runs ac and onboard charger simultaneously on eco mode with no problem

ahill

Reaction score
timberxx said:
The Honda EU2000 only seems to crank out 16.7 amps. Check out Honda's website.

What am I missing here?

It produces120 v which powers the connected charger to produce its amps. Kind of like a converter

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
timberxx said:
The Honda EU2000 only seems to crank out 16.7 amps. Check out Honda's website.

What am I missing here?

16.7 amps at 115-120 VAC, look at the watts. For DC, power is voltage * current. Roughly you need 1/10th the current at 120VAC than at 12V DC for the same power.

bc282

Reaction score
if the OP is requesting info on a honda vs yami opinion, i think both are good quiet efficient units and really can't go wrong with either.
it does overly seem that the Honda (2000 model) seems to be the most popular due to size, weight, quality, and output ability.

for me, this year i may buy a unit too and will just come down to what the best deal at the time will be either honda or yami in that popular 2000 watt size.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
I've been successful powering a ProMariner 3-bank 30 amp onboard charger with an older Yamaha 1000w generator. 2000w would be even better, but I believe there will be a weight penalty ... Yamaha 1000w (27.9#) and the Honda 2000w (46.3#).