Portable Generators

GONEWEST

Reaction score
I have a Sailfish and will start doing overnighters,what type of portable generator does anyone recommend?

Thanks in advance-Chris

gerrys

Reaction score
Chris:
What kind of appliances are you going to be running? A/C? Hot Water? electric stove?
They all add up.

In general, if you're not going to a built in, I'd receommend one of the quiet hondas; either the 1000 or 2000.

SHARKN

Reaction score
Portable generator

I won a portable Kipor in a tournament last year. It is quiet and light. Will run 3 hrs on a tank of gas. I would check them out too. I never used it because I have one on my boat, but I started it to see how quiet it was

TBone

Reaction score
Alot of posters here have recomended the Honda Quiet series 2000.

I went and looked at them and they were pretty sweet! Very quiet too.

That is one of the next items on my "have to get" list. Do a search for

some post on the Honda, I cant remeber anyone posting a negative.

The average cost I found them at ranged between $800-$995. Not bad

for what it is, definatley an option you might look at. Also go check them

out if your on the fence, have them run it for you, you'll be amazed at the

quietness, also not to heavy or bulky, I think somone here said it fits up on the

bow behind the pulpit on the Sailfish.

jehines3

Reaction score
always place your generator down wind and put in atleast one CO monitor if you are sleeping. I prefer the stern while at anchor on a single hook and a short cord jump to my shorepower inlet I feel this is the safest bet, but others may have different opinions. jh

tiderunner

Reaction score
Buy a Honda 2000 For about $930. And be done with it.

dduflo

Reaction score
I wanted a Honda EU 2000. I checked E-Bay and Craig List. E-Bay was way too expensive unless you wanted to buy new. Craig list had one for $550 that was 10 miles away. Just like new. Got lucky this time.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GoneWest from Hampton Bays, shouldn't that be "GoneEast" ?

Welcome !

ahill

Reaction score
I have a Honda 2000 on my Sailfish. It runs AC/Heat charger and galley outlets. All on Eco switch and is very fuel efficient.

Check out Duration Tanks on the internet. They offer a six gallon auxillary tank expressly for the Honda and it works great. No more getting up in the middle of the night to refuel.

Withh AC and other appliances I burn less than 2 gallons in 14 hrs run time.

I put the gen on the platform on an anti skid pad and laniard it to the aft cleat. I have had it walk a bit on me.

I also made a weather cover out of sunbrella supported on a dowel frame. Kind of funky but keeps the rain off.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too plan on purchasing (or borrowing from a friend) the Honda 2000. Has anyone ever used the Yamaha model that is very similar, I think it's a little more powerful at around 2400 watts or so?

Gary M

Reaction score
I used the Honda 2000 for a week after Hurricane Wilma had a go at my house. The first night, it ran a 21 & 25 cubic foot Fridges at the same time for 9 hours on one gallon/tank of gas! We were impressed at the efficiency, quiteness and stable power output!

A buddy had talked me into getting one as he used one on his Sailfish. He sat his on the swim ladder and custom rigged a shower power cord plug into the stern of the boat. He was figuring out a way to keep rain off of it when I lost track of him.....

But, we LOVE our baby Honda!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tunaman, I have not used the Yamaha one, but a friend of mine had his local Yamaha dealer set him up with a portable generator for his boat and they recommended the Honda over the Yamaha, not exactly sure why. I will be talking to him this week so I'll try and find out what the reason's were, I'm buying a Honda 2000 this season as well, seems like the way to go to me.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gradyfish I kind of figured the Honda was a better product seeing how popular they are. Just figured I'd ask since the Yamaha products I have owned over the years were all top notch. Let me know if your friend has any input - positive or negative.

Thanks.