Possible 192 owner

shady-grady

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I've been reading these forums for a few months and the time is getting closer to do an inspection and possible purchase of a '94 192 Tournament. Just a little about me - I've been around boats almost my whole life (growing up in the Bahamas) and previously owned a Dusky 256 Cuddy. Since that boat was a beast to trailer and operate single-handedly, it was sold. Never looked at another boat again until recently. Smaller is easier to handle, esp with new boaters and out of towners as guests. I think use will be mostly cruising and sight-seeing, some fishing.

Two years ago, I arranged for a friend to purchase a '86 192 from a co-worker, so I've been out on that a few times and definitely like the ease of behind the helm access, wiring, and fuel line runs. The layout of the deck is amazing, never would have thought there is so much space on such a small boat!

So now to the current candidate: 1994 192 Tournament
Just had a short time to look at it a few months ago, so can't quite remember all the details. I've tried to look as many online pics as possible, but still need some clarification on some issues, so if anyone can chime in on the following questions, I'd appreciate it.
Keep in mind, my budget is super tight on this one, not looking for perfection, but not taking shortcuts either. If it takes a year to save and refurb, so be it, but don't want this SV2 hull to slip-away at this price. Most work will be done by myself.

The boat in question has been sitting for a while, with the motor not running, damaged gel-coat on the gunwales, and a few small fiberglass cracks (not extending below the rub-rail, just the gunwale), needs new cushions, requires control cable replacements, and the wires are hanging out under the gunwale.

- As this is a newer SeaV2 hull, it does not appear from my pictures as though it has the center storage in the hull, as the older 86 does.
- Other than the euro-transom, is the freeboard on the SeaV2 the same as on the older model? (200Hp 2 stroke)
- Will removing the rub-rail for fiberglass and gelcoat repair detach the cap from the hull?
- Is the baitwell/livewell behind the helm removable? I've seen some pictures where they are screwed into the deck, and some where it is molded in. Has anyone ever removed it? Pros/cons? Still undecided on how it will be used, if for a fishing seat or makeshift ice cooler, or remove it for deckspace later.
- Also hard to tell if it has the removable fuel tank cover. (it has the two smaller access plates)
- How do you access the bilge? I know the older model has a small access-plate in the motorwell. Are the newer SV2 the same way?
- Are there any particular trouble areas to look for? Or any tips on inspecting this model?
- Any particular tell-tale signs of water intrusion on fasteners and tru-hulls/deck drain? Water in the stringers in bilge?

:hmm
Thank you in advance for any pointers provided, and I'm Definitely looking forward to joining the Grady Family!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a 1998 192 and I am not sure when the SV2 hull was rolled out on this boat. I know mine was. I can not answer some of your questions.
The baitwell behind the helm is an option by the factory. Some folks put their own in the boat so not sure there. Sorry

The gas tank lid is attached by those screws in the rectangle pattern along the floor between the helm and companion seat. The 192 did not have a center storage area. Their are two pie hole ports in the motor well to access rigging. The cap, as far as I know, is attached with through bolts between the gunwale and the hull supports. I can not speak to the issues you have brought up here regarding the repair of the gunwale and so forth. Sorry.

I will say this, the SV2 hull is worth the money versus a non SV2 hull. My brother had a 190 - non SV2 hull and my boat was drier and smoother. I would call Grady or maybe somebody here would know, but find out the model year the 192 got the SV2 hull. We loved the boat, just wanted a bigger boat as is often the case (lol).

I would pull the aluminum transom cap...well that would be hard with the motor on it, but this aluminum trim piece is often the point of intrustion into the transom for water. You owe it to yourself to have the transom inspected for water intrusion or rot.

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
I agree, the transom needs to be checked. A quick method is with a brass hammer and tap, you can here the difference when there is water in there, even simple knocking with your hand. I would also check the brass motor well drain tubes to see if they are deteriorating as well as that is another point of water intrusion. Replace the plastic white thru-hull fittings as they fail with Stainless or Brass (depending where you are boating). I think in 97 or 98 they started using all stainless thru hull fittings.
I have a 1989 190 Tournament, I will agree the SV2 hull is a better ride then mine. It all depends where you are using it. I use mine on a freshwater inland lake so rough water is not a concern.
They are easy to work on and Grady White can give you all the drawings, electrical layout, etc they are very helpful. It is by far one of the biggest dual console 19ft you can get.
Good luck.

shady-grady

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! In about a week or two, should be ready to do a thorough inspection and negotiate from there.

The motor is advertised as not running, and the seller did not know what was wrong with it. (mid - 90s 200HP Johnson V6, carb'd) Planed on doing a compression test and checking for bearing play (after spraying cylinders with some light oil), checking for spark, and a little shot of starting fluid to see if she at least fires. Checking the lower unit and tilt/trim operation are also on the critical list.
I've been reading up on the possible transom repairs, gel coating etc. Biggest fear is having to re-core the transom. I've never done any sort of major fiberglass repairs yet, but it appears as though something like sea-cast may help.
*keeping fingers crossed*