Possible blocked fuel pickup on Tournament 192?

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I just drained old fuel from my 1996 Tournament 192.

I connected a fuel hose to the tank pickup tube and used a bulb to get things going, expecting a solid siphon. I did get fuel out when I pumped the bulb, but the siphon wouldn't hold up after I stopped.

I then removed the sender, dropped the line into the tank, pumped the bulb, and the siphoned continued on its own without issues.

Would the failure to siphon through the pickup tube indicate a restriction, or maybe a leak above the fuel level in the tank, or is there something in the pickup tube construction that would explain this? Anyone know?

Thanks,

T.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You didn't attach your hose to the pickup tube... you attached it to a barb fitting called an antisiphon valve... it is scsrewed into the 90* tank fitting that the pickup tube is attached to. Can you guess what it's purpose is? :)

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I'd like to report that my antisiphon valve is fully functional.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI, the reason for the ASV is not to prevent someone from stealing your gas. Instead, if a gas hose should burst, there is a possibility that all of the gas in your tank would be siphoned out into your bilge.

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
It makes perfect sense, and it's a great reminder that my automotive mechanical experience only gets me so far when I'm working in a big fiberglass bathtub.

The 30 year old device worked incredibly well, stopping the flow just as effectively as the ball valve I put inline for the purpose, not even a drop after I stopped priming.

Thanks for your info, accurate and timely.

T.