Possible Future 330 Express Owner

MOrca

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a grady owner yet but am interested in the 330 express. We want to get the express to do weekend trips. I see that the holding tank is only 10 gallons. What drains into this holding tank, is it just the toilet? Or does the sink and shower in the bathroom drain into the 10 gal hold tank too? Thanks

DSC

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a grady owner yet but am interested in the 330 express. We want to get the express to do weekend trips. I see that the holding tank is only 10 gallons. What drains into this holding tank, is it just the toilet? Or does the sink and shower in the bathroom drain into the 10 gal hold tank too? Thanks

Sink/shower drain overboard. Holding tank is for the head.

MOrca

Reaction score
There’s a 330 in Vancouver that I’m looking at. I live in San Francisco. Assuming the boat and engines are fine, do you think the 330 express is sea worthy enough to take down to SF if I hire a captain? I assume we would map out marinas along the way.

MOrca

Reaction score
Thanks Jargon. The one I’m looking at has a pair of 300’s. I will definitely stay away from the first gen 350s. I wish I lived on the east coast as supply of larger Grady Whites are more available.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You could have a boat shipped over the road. East coast to west would be around $10K for boat with an 11-12 to 12 foot beam. The 1,000 + mile trip could cost 5K in fuel + marina fees, living expenses and captains fees. It may be worth researching since the 330 is a major investment and there is a better chance of selecting the prefect boat on the east coast.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We just bought a 2002 330. I looked for about 6 months. A couple things to look out for. Moisture saturation in the balsa core in the hull sides of the boat in the rear 1/3rd. The white Gen set vents had a tendency to leak water. Also soft glass around the bronze thru hulls below the waterline.
My boat had a section cut out at the midship seacocks and repaired. Excellent repair. I have about 3ft of moisture readings near vents. I’ve caulked them to prevent further seeping.
I would recommend finding a boat out West if possible. A 3000 mile truck ride for an older boat is never good. That’s how the soft spot was found on my boat. The original owner trucked th boat from NJ to FL and one of the keel blocks pushed up into the keel a little.
Joints and seams get rattled over time on a truck. Pounding in the ocean is spread over the entire surface. When your Trucking the boat., the pressure is focused in a few small areas.
As far as seaworthiness. We plan on cruising up to ME and down to the Bahamas. Like any boat. You have to pick your days.

MOrca

Reaction score
Thanks Legend and Usmm1234,

i didn't even realize that a boat that big could be shipped via truck. I will definitely look into that as it opens up more boats for me to look at.

Usmm1234, I was wondering if you had a surveyor look at your boat before purchase. If so was the moisture just missed by the surveyor or is a moisture test something that surveyors not test for?

Thank you.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks Legend and Usmm1234,

i didn't even realize that a boat that big could be shipped via truck. I will definitely look into that as it opens up more boats for me to look at.

Usmm1234, I was wondering if you had a surveyor look at your boat before purchase. If so was the moisture just missed by the surveyor or is a moisture test something that surveyors not test for?

Thank you.
I did have it surveyed and the survey noted the moisture. If you are Buying an older boat that has been kept in the water at all during its life. You are going to have moisture. I had a 33 Bertram that showed moisture 20 years ago. I sand blasted it to open the blisters. Dried it for 18 months. Sealed it with 5 coats of top quality sealer/primer and 2 coats of paint and I ran the heck out of it. 5 years later when I sold it. It showed moisture? I bought the Grady knowing it had some dampness near the stern below the Gen vents. The bottom all tested good. You want to check around the thru hulls.

MOrca

Reaction score
I did have it surveyed and the survey noted the moisture. If you are Buying an older boat that has been kept in the water at all during its life. You are going to have moisture. I had a 33 Bertram that showed moisture 20 years ago. I sand blasted it to open the blisters. Dried it for 18 months. Sealed it with 5 coats of top quality sealer/primer and 2 coats of paint and I ran the heck out of it. 5 years later when I sold it. It showed moisture? I bought the Grady knowing it had some dampness near the stern below the Gen vents. The bottom all tested good. You want to check around the thru hulls.

Do boats that use composite only (non wood) materials subject the the same moisture issues?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Possibly. Balsa core will rot where Airex core will not, but both can saturate to some extent. The soft area that developed in my hull was solid glass. No coring. It is recommended on older boats to remove, clean and Re install all thru hulls to prevent leaks. The softness also may have been caused by poor blocking on the transport truck. From NJ to FL. It was repaired by a very reputable a Yacht Yard in Naples in 2012 and has lots of hours put on it. I don’t like trucking older boats. I ran mine back from Naples FL to Myrtle Beach SC. Very fun trip thru the Okeechobee and up the coast!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
330 express is my dream boat :p GL and post pics!

R

Reactions: Jargon

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I live too far from the coast to warrant a beast like that, otherwise, I would have loved to have one. Only thing I rrrrreeeeallllyyy wish I had was a second berth....

I could have hauled the 282 with my truck, but I could not have hauled it near as safely or as well...so, the Islander was the best choice... but the 330.. yea, plush heh

Will get mine all fixed up, eventually...:p

R

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Keep on it. I took a weeks vacation to get a bunch of major projects done.

MOrca

Reaction score
Wow.....So clean that I wouldn't have guessed that you keep it outdoors... how tall of a person can sleep in the main and second berth? Also with the waste tank only being 10 gals. Under normal conditions, can two people do a 3 day trip before you have to pump it out?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wow.....So clean that I wouldn't have guessed that you keep it outdoors... how tall of a person can sleep in the main and second berth? Also with the waste tank only being 10 gals. Under normal conditions, can two people do a 3 day trip before you have to pump it out?
6ft plus and yes to the holding tank. Especially if you pee Over the side! Holding tank is good for at least 12 flushes?