powder coating

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. There is some pitting in the piping in the usual places under the hardtop. (was like that when I bought it 6 years ago). Can the aluminum be powder coated white to make it look better and to update the look of the boat? I know nothing about the powder coating process but I see most of the new boats have it.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I spoke to a GW dealer at the local boat show a few weeks back and asked him about the durability of the powder coating on GWs. He told me that GQ does not use powder coating.I'm not 100% sure, but I thought he said it was a type of paint which made it easier to repair if it got chipped.

artodea

Reaction score
I once had the aluminum frame of a leaning post powder coated and it came out great. The issue with your hardtop frame is that the entire thing will have to be removed from the boat and separated from the hardtop, powder coated, and then re-installed. Not a trivial task...

Powder coating involves spraying a powder that is electrostatically adhered to the part followed by baking in an oven (the whole thing goes into the oven). The powder melts, flows, and forms a layer.

Painting might be a better option. No removal, but lots of masking.

Whatever you wind up doing, please post your results - I'm in the same "boat" with my hardtop frame.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Powder coating sounds like too big of a headache. When you say painting, I did not know you could paint the aluminum.

artodea

Reaction score
It's all about the prep work. Anodized aluminum is pretty slick and without a serious sanding/etching of the surface no paint will adhere. Properly prepared and with the right primer, the right type of paint might actually stick and look good. Improperly done, it will start flaking off and look horrible.

seasick

Reaction score
artodea said:
It's all about the prep work. Anodized aluminum is pretty slick and without a serious sanding/etching of the surface no paint will adhere. Properly prepared and with the right primer, the right type of paint might actually stick and look good. Improperly done, it will start flaking off and look horrible.

There are paint kits for aluminum. They include a special etching primer and a multi-part epoxy paint. If you don't prime correctly, the paint will not adhere well.
If the pitting is not too bad, you can try something like Woody's wax products for metal. They can remove minor pitting. Heavy pitting is another story.
I am surprised about the comment about Grady not using powder coating since some of the models introduced in 20015(?) sure look like the frame is powder coated. Is is a special paint and not powder coat?
Powder coating is a good barrier from corrosion until it gets chipped or nicked. Than all bets are off. In my experience , it is not easily repaired ( yes you can touch up with paint but that is not the same as the powder coating process.
Perhaps some folks with the white frames can chime in.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new Grady's supposedly use a new painting process that looks like powder coating on the metalwork. The big difference is that if it gets nicked, you simply repair it with that paint. I have powder coating on a different boat and as mentioned earlier, if you nick/ scratch / chip it, a process starts where water gets under it and its all downhill from there. You cant really repair it because ,to do it right , it must be baked in an oven.
My feeling is that it would be a PITA to have your boat done considering the removal etc. Then, you're setting yourself for more problems if it gets damaged afterwards. My feeling is that powder coating looks great...but it is a liability especially if you fish. Slinging sinkers, gaffs, rods around etc doesn't co exist too well and just grabbing a piping wearing a ring can actually scratch it somewhat. However if you're just a cruiser and don't fish , then it may be more acceptable. I have heard some people actually have had their metalwork done in Line X which is much cheaper. I am not a fan but if your metal work is really bad , it may be an option for you. Im sure that you will get many opinions..this is just mine. Good luck in whatever you do.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good info here. I'm in the camp of clean it the best you can and let it be. The boat is 15 years old and they will show their age. You could spend a lot of time and money and be in a worse position a couple of years down the road. Keep her clean and polished and let the beauty marks show.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Thanks for all the imput. My boat is in impeccable condition except for the piping under the hardtop near the cockpit. It was that way when I bought it 6 years ago. I always tell my kids to rinse rinse and rinse with fresh water under the hardtop. Obviously the previous owner did not do this. It always bothered me, but I think I will try some Woody's and do the best I can. Again, thanks for the information.