Power Assist Fuse Question

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Seastar power assist pump has two 40A fuses in it and GW adds two 30A fuses on the same lines at the battery.
I believe this is done so the aft fuses open first should an over current condition occurs. The fuses in the pump are a PIA to change if they blow.

I’ve had two instances where the aft fuses blew. Both times when I turned the wheel all the way into the stop. I’m thinking when I hit the stops the current rises as the system is trying to move the engines. The fuses pop and I have to replace. The steering still works but harder to steer - minor issue.

Just wondering if anyone has observed the issue.

seasick

Reaction score
What is the model number? I looked at a few pumps and it seems they draw typically a few amps but have a max draw of 50 amps! I don't know what situations would cause a 50 amp draw.
Was the pump factory or added later. It is possible that the factory wiring and fusing is undersized for the pump. ( in that case the problem would have always been there). If the blowing of the fuses is something new, it may be that either the pump itself has issues, or the steering is putting more load on the pump.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not that I know about. There isn’t any adjustments. Will re-read the documentation.