Power for a 1993 or new 208

msobie64

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a 1993 or newer (cv2 hull) Grady White 208. I have seen them with 150,175,200,225 HP, what is the general recomendation for power on this boat? I want to be comfortable fishing in the slightly sloppy seas (3 or 4 guys) and also want plenty of power for recreation.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 150 2 stroke on my 2001 - 208 and it is fine for me. Up on plane in under 10 seconds and I cruise about 30 mph at 4200 rpm I usually have no more than 3 people when fishing, and a half to 3/4 full tank. I have a soft bimini top. If you are getting a 4 stroke or have a hard top, you will need more than 150 hp. I think the max rating for that model is 200. In addition, for a 175 or 200, hydraulic steering is recommended.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're buying and repowering where can pick what you want, there are some nice options out there...

175 Suzuki 4-stroke. If you have a local dealer to support you this is probably a top choice.

175 E-tec. The new Bombardier/Evinrudes are really all they're cracked up to be, another top choice, and probably what I would go with given the opportunity.

While the yamaha F150 is a very nice motor, and sufficient for us 95% of the time, if you have calm water or water sports in mind where you can really open 'er up, a few more ponies would be nice. There are a few big-blocks on them, 200/225, but frankly I think the added weight is a detriment, especially if you want to load the boat up with big guys and gear. I run a 32 gal Kodiak in front of the motor on deck, and with four guys on board I just would't want the extra 120lbs or whatever it is. With full fuel the boat is about maxed out.

There are proponents for Mercury, I used to like them but now shy away from anything Brunswick. I'm sure the Verado is a good motor, but again, you have some extra weight and I don't know about you, but a supercharger on a boat motor just doesn't jive with me.

Weight and power wise, it's darn hard to beat the e-tec. If you really want a rocket, get the small block 200, but I think it's a bit overkill, and an extra grand or so when you buy it.

Another excellent option for an older boat would be a Yamaha HPDI-200 take-off. There are a few around and they are excellent motors. Would give you the performance and save you a bundle in purchase costs. And there's nothing wrong with a left hand propped one from a pair, they work just the same for a single. Again, here you get performance and keep the weight down. You do get a little more bang with a 2-stroke. The newer style motors are remarkably smoke free and quiet, escpecially the e-tec.

Hydraulic steering is recommended for any repower, it's just so much nicer to steer with.

Let us know what you decide on.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I've had 3 different 20 foot boats. I always felt 200 hp was overkill on a 20 footer until I bought my last boat; a '98 Edgewater with a Yamaha 200 SWS. It's really nice to have that extra power when you need it. And because the engine isn't working that hard at cruise the fuel efficiency is not much different. I'd look for one with a 200 on it if it were me

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have yet to hear anyone say that they have too much power on their boat and want a smaller engine....

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
magicalbill said:
I have yet to hear anyone say that they have too much power on their boat and want a smaller engine....

I think it's more an issue of weight Bill, and cost.

Besides, the little grady hull will only go so fast no matter how much horsepower you can manage to bolt on. And an ocean boat gets run wide open so little it's not even worth talking about.

If a guy boats in protected waters and can get some speed going, then all the power is never enough. When we run the lakes that's when I'm eager for more throttle. I imagine if that were the bulk of my boating instead of wide open ocean, then I would be a much stronger proponent of the bigger engines. For our use, the smaller motor has always been sufficient. More power would do nothing for us 90% of the time. When I first got the boat I thought I wanted to trade off the motor for something bigger, and cost kept me from it. But now with over 200 hours on it it's just a distant memory. We are rarely able to make better than 20-22 knots on any run anyway.

The F150 is really a nice package for the boat for fishing and ocean work. It's quiet, clean, good on fuel, easy to maintain, and keeps the cost down when you buy the boat. Of course the F200/225 would offer the same operating benefits, even better on fuel. But you'd have to figure another 120lbs, and the cost for it, for about another 5mph at WOT.

Now, a bigger boat with twins....yeah baby!!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I understand CJ...
It's always easier for me to spend someone else's money than my own..
The advantage I see with more power in open-ocean and inland situations is the engine works less(and oftentimes burns the same or less fuel) to power a boat at a given speed. This leads to longer engine life, if nothing else.

Plus, I would only worry about the weight if it's an older hull, not meant for the heavier 4-strokes. This has been discussed a lot here,so I won't go into it. My 232 Gulfstream has the 200 4-strokes, and the weight is no big deal.

I do agree that speed is almost a non-issue with the rough conditions most of us encounter. Plus, I also agree that the Grady hulls are not built for speed. My 232 hits 46-47 at WOT with full fuel and gear. I never run it that way..there is no point to it unless your outrunning weather.

Your also right about the 150-combo for the 208..I have seen more 208's with the 150 than anything else, so it must be a viable choice.

There is something really "right" to me about a boat powered up to the max cruising effortlessly and having mucho-planing power even with big loads of fuel and passengers. I don't know this, but I would think it would help in resale value also.

R Ballou

Reaction score
Website
Weatherhead.CWRU.edu
My boat is a 1999 208, which originally had a 200 hp Optimax engine. This engine had so much acceleration that it would throw folks to the back of the boat if accelerated hard to get on plane. The top speed was about 42 mph and cruise was about 26 mph.
Three years ago, I repowered with a Verado 150 hp. My feeling is that the overall performance is a better match to the boat. This is the feel of how the boat gets on plane, how it docks, and how it accelerates. Getting on plane has been no problem since the Verado torque is quite good with supercharging. You can get an idea of torque comparisons for various 4-strokes by going to http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1029.0. The 150 will be a little slower than the 200. My experience under real conditions is that the cruise speed at 4000 rpm is between 22 and 24 mph. The top speed is between 38 and 40 mph. This performance has been adequate on Lake Erie where conditions rarely allow high speeds without considerable pounding.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's for power to accelerate and fight diificult sea conditions.
These are not speed boats.

The 20 footers are heavy boats, no bay or pontoon boat here. Even my 20 foot Mako was so much lighter and moved much faster with same size motor.

I had a 1988 204C with a V6 150Hp Johnnie, a V6 2 stroke is a minumum engine for this boat, torque wise, IMHO. Sometimes coming back in thru the inlet with a wind against moon current situation and the waves behind were tall and curling ready to come over the motor and us I used every cubin inch of that V6 to stay ahead of them. White knuckles at the wheel. Had to stay on the back of the wave ahead, while not overtaking it. So plenty of jogging of the throttle.

Grady equipped the newer 20 footers with 150 HPDIs when they became available, also a V6 motor, then pushed the F150 (I4) when it came out since the larger V6 F200/225 was a considerable bump up in price. Of course the Grady dealer would say the F150 is plenty of motor, more than you need.

The normally aspirated 4 cylinder F150 4 stroke is no 2 stroke V6 150 Hp carb, FI, or DFI, torque wise. It's not possible, technically.

The 4 stroke 4 cylinder Verado is supercharged so it may have a low end torque advantage over the Yamaha Fs, I doubt it it can match la ike HP, V6 2 stroke, like the HPDI, ETEC, Opti.

The manufacturers purposely deny the HP and torque curve data for us consumers. HP and peak torque are one thing, but how flat or peaky the cruves are make all teh difference, just liek in cars.

Too bad we can't have the marine equivalent of :
0-60
1/4 mile,
passing 40-60,
top end
mph

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
As listed in my sig I have a '93 208 with an '04 F200- to me this pairing is just right and I wouldn't recommend going with the F150 (although its always easier spending somebody else's money). The motor is amazingly quiet and gets the boat up on plane quite nicely. The extra weight of the four stroke is not an issue at all either- havent had water back up through the scuppers once. At 4800 RPM's I get between 26-28 kts, pinned at 5900 she tops out at about 38 kts (as measured by a Furuno GP-31 GPS).... hope the info can help you in your search...