Power plants

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Hey folks, I may be the minority here but how many folks are running engines other than Yamahas? I have twin Optis on my Chase and I am having a problem with the port engine fouling the LH bank of spark plugs. I have cleaned and reinstalled them twice but they are continuing to foul. Could it be the fogging oil still burning off? I am going to try a mix of sea foam and gas to decarb to see if that clears it up. I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for your replies.

gw204

Reaction score
When was the last time you changed your thermostats? If the t-stat for the left bank is sticking open, it could case that side to not come up to proper temp and foul plugs.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Last week I tested the thermostates on both engines. They began to open at the correct temp and fully opened so I don't think that is the problem.

What kind of equipment do you need to check air and fuel pressure besides gauges? When I removed the throttle body duct the butterfly had a film of carbon on it which is why I thought it may need a de-carb. I read seafoam and gas mix at the dock to decarb and that it was safe for sensors. I think I am going to give it a shot on Saturday unless someone has better ideas.

BTW thanks for the replies!

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I tried but either my gauge is bad or I am doing something wrong. Couldn't get any reading on the gauge. Removed all plugs, opened the butterfly as per the manual but still got no reading. I checked the shrader valve inline with the gauge but still no reading. I feel like an idiot! I work on helicopters for god's sake and I can't even perform a compression check! LOL.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
On each fuel/air rail you will see a schrader valve. One is air and one is fuel. There should be a 10 psi difference between the two. Mercury has a nice gauge to test these at the same time.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you have ignition power to the plugs on that side?

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Fish Tank said:
On each fuel/air rail you will see a schrader valve. One is air and one is fuel. There should be a 10 psi difference between the two. Mercury has a nice gauge to test these at the same time.

Since I don"t have the gauge set, can they be check seperately? I have a pressure gauge I can adapt to fit the schrader valve.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Well I think I figured out what the problem is. I took the boat out this Saturday and the port engine was rough at idle. After finally getting it to stop stalling I took it out for a run to blow out any carbon. The engine ran flawless above idle. After running for about 30 minutes it was good to go until I shut down and re-started.

I think what is happening is the injector is leaking fuel into the cylinder and running rough until the excess fuel is burned off. I am going to remove the subject injectors and take them to work to have them cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner tank we have. I am not sure this will work so I ordered another one just in case. I think I need two though.