Power steering out

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Hi guys .
I went to take my 2008 305 Express out today and realized very quickly that the power steering wasn't working, or at least something was wrong.
The boat has twin F350s so the power steering makes a huge difference when it works.
I haven't begun to troubleshoot it yet but thought I'd turn to the group for ideas. I assume there is a fuse somewhere and thought I'd start there to make sure I have power.
The only notable thing that has happened recently was out big snow/ice storm. However, I kept a small heater running in the cabin so I don't think it is take weather related.
Thoughts?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There will be a fuse or breaker for the power assist pump. If the unit is the most common, SeaStar 1200 series, then there is another internal fuse. It can be accessed by removing the cover from the pump. Be sure to turn off the battery switches before changing that fuse. Make sure you indeed do have power to the pump from the power panel before changing the internal fuse. If you verify that there is 12V to the pump and verify that the ground wire is indeed grounded then it may very well be the internal fuse.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had to replace mine late last year after almost 13 seasons. Pump runs 1500-1800 on the net. Shop around if needed.
You can still use the boat with it out, just harder to steer.

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just in case you are still seeking experiencing this problem - on my 330 express there is a factory installed fuse inline in the wire supplying the pump. it is located directly off the battery terminal. I discovered this when after changing out my batteries I had no power to my steering. I had blown it.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Just in case you are still seeking experiencing this problem - on my 330 express there is a factory installed fuse inline in the wire supplying the pump. it is located directly off the battery terminal. I discovered this when after changing out my batteries I had no power to my steering. I had blown it.

Ha! Just did the exact same thing on my 305. Changed the batteries and blew the 40amp fuse.
I've now replaced it and carry extra 40 amp fuses on board in case I ever need to change it again