Power steering question

Ozz043

Reaction score
G-Day All
I have a 1999 Marlin and lock to lock is a ridiculous number of turns...I haven't counted, maybe 10-12 ?
Is this normal ? I've tried purging any air out but there doesn't seem to be any ?
Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
seems excessive, but I have never counted. will get you some info.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
My 2007 is 7 or 8 turns lock to lock. I did find the number online once but it depends on your helm and cylinders, one or two station. I think Google may be able to find the expected turns.

Fishtales

Reaction score
checked today. 7-8 here as well.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you're bypassing at the wheel and it sounds like you may be in for a pump rebuild kit. Not too bad of a job, so I understand, I've never had to do it. There's a real easy way to remove the wheel; do a search and if no luck get back to us. I had a similar situation but not as bad as you. I flushed all my fluid, rebuild the steering ram, it was weeping just a little, and now it works perfect. Instead of the Sea Star fluid, I used aviation hydraulic fluid; it's even recommended in the manual. MUCH cheaper and it's red so any leak is easy to spot. Never could figure out why Sea Star used clear fluid.
The Sea Star guy is a regular on THT and he's real helpful. Might want to jump over there and PM him. All manuals are available on their web site and they are real easy to work with. Have the brackets holding the ram on your sbt motor ever been removed and greased?

Another route to go is to loose those OX66's and get a pair of those new Rudes with internal steering :mrgreen:

Ozz043

Reaction score
Thanks Tucker
I've counted and its nearly 9 turns lock to lock...which seems excessive...I'd think 5 would be suitable ?
I am on THT so will post and see how that goes. Cheers

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
Thanks Tucker
I've counted and its nearly 9 turns lock to lock...which seems excessive...I'd think 5 would be suitable ?
I am on THT so will post and see how that goes. Cheers

If you go on the Seastar website , they list the different units and number of turns lock to lock for each.Check your model number and then see what your lock to lock is listed at. I saw only 3 and the most turns was 5. Mine turns 5 1/2 and the tech says that indicates air. I also have power steering and apparently you have bleed that pump separately.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Guy's
I can't seem to locate any power assist pump...only the steering wheel...would this be normal for a 1999 model ? The manual doesn't mention any other pump..

Ozz043

Reaction score
Guys
I found the specs in the manual, for twin engine installation
Seastar 1.7, 9.2 turns
Seastar 2.4, 6.5 turns
Seastar pro 2.0, 7.8 turns

Now I just need to find out which one I have, I'm guessing it's the 1.7

Cheers

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
Guys
I found the specs in the manual, for twin engine installation
Seastar 1.7, 9.2 turns
Seastar 2.4, 6.5 turns
Seastar pro 2.0, 7.8 turns

Now I just need to find out which one I have, I'm guessing it's the 1.7

Cheers

I think that would be listed on the helm pump itself.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ozz043 said:
Guy's
I can't seem to locate any power assist pump...only the steering wheel...would this be normal for a 1999 model ? The manual doesn't mention any other pump..

In your original post you mentioned "power steering". I took that to mean you had power assist...did you mean to say hydraulic steering? If you had power assist there would be a line from your helm pump to a secondary pump and then it would continue back to your steering cylinder. Hope that clears it up.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Um yes must clarify ...hydrolic steering... Sorry I had my terminology incorrect.
I will check the helm next visit for any info on model.