Power TRim Motor

ahill

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sierra or DB Electric aftermarket power trim motors esp. for a Yamaha 225 OX66?
Thanks.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Do aftermarket motors work - yes.
Do they hold up as well as genuine - nope.

I got about 15 years out of my trim motor on my 70 yamaha and replaced it with an Arco. The arco is showing signs of rust and is no where near the 15 year mark.

Try boats.net to check prices for OEM

ahill

Reaction score
DB is $170
Sierra is $278
OEM $680.
Labor 4hrs.
On the 225 the bracket has to be loosened from the transom for access.
Local Yamaha rep has used Arco for years with no problems altho' Arco doesn't make one for the 3 bolt 4 wire config. that I need. Sierra is owned by teleflex & that's my choice unless someone has good exp. with DB.

Sully4755

Reaction score
I replaced my trim motor and starter motor from DB beginning of this season, perfect fit and no problems yet. Johnson225HP. Friend bought trim motor for Merc. from DB and happy with it.

DaleH

Reaction score
IMHO never buy OEM as #1 ... the OB brand doesn't make them anyway (NONE of them!) and #2 ... any replacement trim/tilt motor can be made to be more reliable with a few simple steps. Most OEMs use the same Sierra or other part you can buy somewhere else much, if not significantly cheaper. FWIW I've bought Sierra and have painted them in a multi-step process using good ol' Rust-Oleum enamels over their metal prep primer, and then painting them with spray paint to match the OB. Then I wax the s#$t out of the housing, each year afterwards too!

But what do I know ... I only run or maintain 15 or more OBs each season ... ;)

ahill

Reaction score
DaleH,
I do the rustoleum treatment as well sometimes use OSPHO first for good measure.
I'm leaning toward the Sierra bacause its a Teleflex company. DB Electric at $100 cheaper is getting real tempting the more I talk to mechanics & users.