Power wash or not to power wash

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
My boat (with a clean painted bottom) has only been in the water for one month only .
The water temperature is 64 degrees here in the North East. I'm hauling it out on Saturday.
Do you think I need power washing or could I get by with just a hose off? I'll probable want to paint or retouch the bottom
next Spring. Thanks!

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm always amazed how quickly stuff grows - if you don't want to pressure wash it, you could probably remove the growth with a regular hose and a scrub brush.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Pull it first, then decide. Right? I would think that a light wash with a pressure washer might be easier though. Speaking of work, I need to compound and wax my hull before I put her up for the winter. So many projects and maintenance chores! :bang

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's a little more complicated. Power wash is only allocated for certain days and must be paid in advance at the town hall. I'll have to wait until the end of the month for power wash and get in line with all the other boats being pulled in at the same time.

seasick

Reaction score
Grady White Guy said:
Thanks guys. It's a little more complicated. Power wash is only allocated for certain days and must be paid in advance at the town hall. I'll have to wait until the end of the month for power wash and get in line with all the other boats being pulled in at the same time.
Thi is tough to answer. There are power washers and there are POWER WASHERS, the later most likely being too harsh on your new paint. If you are saying that someone else will be doing the washing and therefore you may not have control on the pressure used, that might be a concern.
If there is slime or growth, it is easier to clean it now but it will still be possible to clean next season. Of course if there are any barnacles, now is the time to deal with them. I guess I would opt for the power washing now as long as you can be there when it is done and 'direct' whoever will be doing the washing.

A month up here in NYC area is plenty of time for slime to grow especially since the local waters have been warmer than usual.