Powerwinch 912

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mounted a new Powerwinch 912 on the trailer. Boat was blocked in driveway. Attempted to winch her back on the trailer. Motor runs normal, cable starts to retrieve, trailer is rolling under boat. Boat is half way on the trailer and clutch starts to slip. Stop, start again, pulls about an inch, slips again. Attached manual crank handle and winched trailer right under boat. Would like to correct this problem without shipping the winch back. Anyone out there have any experience with the 912? Thanks in advance.

seasick

Reaction score
I assume you tries tightening the clutch knob.
As long as the motor is still running but the load slips, it is a clutch issue. Excess grease or worn internal disks are the usual suspects but since your inch is new, it may just need a bit of a user adjustment.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes I did. Looking at the exploded diagram I assume the clutch is like the drag system of a conventional reel. The winch does not slip while using the hand crank. Internals were bone dry little grease on bearings, large gears no grease.

seasick

Reaction score
The handle drive does not use the clutch so at least you know the cable itself is not binding. I think you should call t e company. It would seem that you have a bad unit but maybe they know a trick.
Let us know what you find out.
Customer Support: 1.800.243.3097

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have one of those 912s and the clutch is the "fuse " so to speak. The designers intend the clutch to slip before things like gears and shafting start to fail or the motor melts the windings. That said, if I tighten the clutch knob good and tight, it pulls damned hard. Loading a boat on the hard is going to be tougher than were it floating and wet. For doing that extra hard duty maybe you should two-part the winch line till you get back to loading while afloat. Just a thought.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey guys thanks for your responses. Removed the cover stared at that clutch, grabbed the gear it drives and was able to spin the gear due to the fact that the motor bolts(2- 7/16) were loose about two full turns each. So much for QC. Tightened them up and she pulls like a beast. All the gears were dry no lube at all. Greased them up keeping clear of the clutch and she runs smooth and quiet. They should market these as kits with final assembly required.

seasick

Reaction score
Nice work, glad that worked out.