Powerwinch wiring

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Health issues require me to add a electric winch to my trailer. What methods other than the permanent installation from the tow vehicles battery do you like? Such as battery on trailer or a removal wiring harness.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Running a permanent plug isn't all that hard - down the engine bay and under the truck to the bumper.

For the times when I'm using someone else's truck, I have also made up a simple harness with alligator clips on the end. Either carry a battery in the back of the truck to attach to, or make the harness long enough to go the truck's battery. Check the power draw on the winch you get and size the wire properly for the round trip distance to the battery and back. Don't forget an inline fuse.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Running a permanent plug isn't all that hard - down the engine bay and under the truck to the bumper.

For the times when I'm using someone else's truck, I have also made up a simple harness with alligator clips on the end. Either carry a battery in the back of the truck to attach to, or make the harness long enough to go the truck's battery. Check the power draw on the winch you get and size the wire properly for the round trip distance to the battery and back. Don't forget an inline fuse.
Thanks for your input. I have installed permanent wiring before and yes it is not hard. Just looking for opinions from others.

Chillaxin

Reaction score
Battery in a milk crate with hd harness made up set in my pu bed leave in garage when not in use

Fishtales

Reaction score
The milk crate sounds like a good way to go if you want a quick install.