Pre 1998 Grady Sailfish 272 Ride Quality and Planing Speed

Hi!

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with a Grady 272 between the years of 1994 - 1997 (all SeaV2 hulls)? I've read mixed reviews on the ride quality of these boats. Apparently they extended the running surface in 1998 to improve ride quality and to be able to run the boat on plane at slower speeds? Curious if anyone knows how big the difference is? Some people say these boats ride horribly? Some say they ride great. Appreciate any input that you might have! Also curious how slow you can run this boat on plane?

Thanks!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Re: Pre 1998 Grady Sailfish 272 Ride Quality and Planing Spe

My 272 is a 1999 and I do not have experience with the pre-1998 model. What I will say is that I think ride quality is in the eye of the beholder. I had a pre SeaV2 Grady Offshore before and was happy with that ride as well, but if you read some other forums you would think otherwise.

I am sure someone who is used to the Marlin or larger Express' would think any of the 272's ride rough, but when I came from boats that were significantly smaller than the 272 I am very happy with the ride. I am sure there are a few here that have experience with both hulls. I would like to think the 272 in the year range you are referring to would be similar to the bracketed 1992 & 1993 SeaV2 Sailfish (which is still a desirable model to many), but that is just a guess.

Andrew

Stephnic

I have a 1998 268 Islander. That is the same design as the sailfish but with an 8’6 beam, I love the ride of the boat it handles the seas great. I think once you learn the boat and get used to running it and trimming it out they all run good. I’ve had four Grady’s and loved them all.

Awesome. Thanks for the answers. And yes, I’ll be coming from a small 20’ boat. So looking forward to the upgrade.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain

Hi,

I have a ‘95 272, which I bought just five months ago. I upgraded from a ‘96 208. In comparison, I love the ride, but then I suppose I am blissfully ignorant of what the newer models or larger models would feel like.

With tanks half full and trim tabs down and just a few people on board, I can stay on plane down to about 20MPH, I think. That’s with the weight of twin 225 Yamahas on the back.

I know that ‘Fillinger’ also has the same boat, and he may have more experience than I do, for comparison.

Great to know thanks! I did sea trial the boat and bought it this week! Loving it. Big difference from the 20 foot boat I had before.

Mr.crab

Had the 1994 Sailfish for 2 years , one year with 1994 225 hp carbs put 120 hrs them . Then
installed new Yamaha 225 Hp 4.2 L put 91 hrs , night and day for ride difference. You can plane
slower in rough conditions , old motors always wanted to go fast that year hull will slam.
Moved to the Marlin, still working on it.
Thanks