Pre Purchase Inspection

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 92 GW 255 Sailfish What should I be looking for as far as structural/ fibreglass? Does this hull/model have any bad traits or hidden problems that I should look for? Not really concerned about the equipment as most will be replaced. Yes I know it should be surveyed but that will come next if I like what I see. Thanks for any feed back!! :shock:

striped bass

Reaction score
Surveyors come in all flavors, and most are not that good. I recommend a good fiberglass repair person and they will have hands on knowledge of what and where to look. I have used top of the line surveyors in the past and I would not do it ever again. They are too general and lack specifics of what to look for and how to drill down on problem areas. Most have boilerplate that they make a few changes to and send it off to you. Just my opinion. Also get a separate Yamaha mechanic to check out the engine. The list of a few items for a boat of this vintage that usually need replacement or repair is as follows:
Decks rot (water enters through the screw heads which are not properly embedded by Grady - very common problem and expensive to fix)
All Electronics and wiring
Battery holders and handles for the sea cocks
Canvas and snaps (both on the boat and on the canvas)
Seats (springs and plastic bushings wear out)
Hydraulic steering
Rub rail (screws loosen over time)

Best of success with your new vessel. Post a few pics if you can.