predicting good sea conditions in block is sound

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am doing a round trip cruise from Marblehead Ma to Fishers and Montauk with have dozen stops along the way. I have a voyager 24 and did a similar cruise to casco bay maine last year. Last year I was able to ge good info on wave predcitions for NH and the gulf of Maine and we travelled very early in the am. Looking for sources and advice on predicting good sea conditions from Montauk across Block Island Sound to WestPort. what is best wind direction and sources for wave predictions. thanks Lew

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks this is a great web site -Also I have been monitoring the dial a buoy at Block Island. This aft. they had 5.8 ft waves every 11 seconds. We do not get much of that in Mass. Bay. This sounds like a off shore ocean swell-and the wind and waves were pretty much from the same direction. I think the 24 ft. voyager will do ok in this, with speed down to 15 or 20. Also I was thinking that instead of going diagnally from Montauk past Block toward Buzzrds Bay I migh be better off going north an hugging the south shore of RI ? Is there many times when the seas stay 1 or 2 ft. for a few days. maybe out of the North -lightly? Thanks Lew

richie rich

Reaction score
Lew, I've done the Fishers to Montauck a few times...as long as the wind is under 10-15, its an easy ride.....less than an hour at 15-20mph......Block is sort of in between both stops.....the conditions in the SE area of Block are not much different than going out to Jeffery's Ledge off the North Shore of Cape Ann......hugging Rhode Island is actually a nice ride and keeps you a bit protected....once you're in the RI waters...all major points are really an hour or less away.......your longest ride will be from Marblehead through the canal.....thats gotta be about 4 hours or so at a nice cruising speed of 20mph...I believe Swift Cloud, who is also in the Salem/MH area did a video of his trip through the canal....check his past posts.

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have been viewing the sites and forecasts and they are very helpful. From Montauk it seems that the most advantageous (smaller waves) route back to buzzards bay would be the longer route of going north to the Conn/RI shore and then east along the coast to buzzards bay. :hmm

richie rich

Reaction score
Lew, if you take a line from Montauck to Narragansett, you stay on the inside of Block Island and its a pretty safe bet...then the nice ride along the RI shore to Buzzards bay....But if on the day you have calm seas and no wind in the forecast, you can take a more direct route on the outside of Block and save a little time...in either case, you will have BI as a point of reference and possible stopping point should things get nasty out there. Its only 10 miles to BI from Montauck and another 10 or so from Block to Narragansett....its a fairly quick ride.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wind out of any direction involving the east sucks, stay away from it or put it behind you.