preparing to enter market

chuck001

Reaction score
just joined this forum and glad to be here!! for a while, I had my eyes set on cabin cruisers and fell in love with the sea ray 290 but after doing quite a bit of homework on maintenance and upkeep, I decided to put that to bed. based on my usage interest which id say would be like 70% cruise and 30% fish, the 300 Marlin seems perfect! its a gorgeous boat and seems to check all boxes. all ive ever owned was outboards so the sea ray did make me a little nervous. anyway, I plan on towing since I have an F350 dually and lots of experience heavy hauling so no sweat there.

lastly I have a captains license so I would certainly entertain the idea to generating some sort of revenue. not really interested in doing too much fishing because im just not experienced enough but wouldn't mind doing sunset runs, harbor hopping, etc.. or along those lines.

I just saw the previous post of the 300 marlin for sale but just not quite ready yet. are there any preferred year ranges of marlins that are better than others? preferred power? im not a fan of 225's so 300's appear to be the sweet spot for power. how about maintenance budgeting?

thanks folks, looking forward to e-meeting yall...

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
"how about maintenance budgeting?"

Hi,

Welcome to the forum...

Lots of variables here:
Are you boating year round?
How many hours per year are you running?
Are you doing the maintenance yourself?
Are you asking about maintenance only or are you also asking about repairs?
Are you the "open checkbook" type or do you delay expenses?
You mentioned towing... does that mean the boat won't be stored in the water for weeks at a time?

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The transom seat on the Marlin was changed in 2004, so that may be a good starting point if you like the current fold down seat and fish box arrangement. Look for a good priced boat with original four stroke F225s or F250s that still run well and consider repowering with 300s. The 2004 model was the earliest rated for 600 HP, and new ones are rated for 700. You can get about $5k each for those old motors if they run well and don’t have massive hours unless they have the dreaded Yamaha exhaust corrosion issue that hasn’t been rectified. That will help soften the blow of the repower cost. New Suzukis still seem to be the most economic option. If you’re thinking about 250s, then Tohatsus may be the most economic choice. Both have full 5-year warranties.

chuck001

Reaction score
The transom seat on the Marlin was changed in 2004, so that may be a good starting point if you like the current fold down seat and fish box arrangement. Look for a good priced boat with original four stroke F225s or F250s that still run well and consider repowering with 300s. The 2004 model was the earliest rated for 600 HP, and new ones are rated for 700. You can get about $5k each for those old motors if they run well and don’t have massive hours unless they have the dreaded Yamaha exhaust corrosion issue that hasn’t been rectified. That will help soften the blow of the repower cost. New Suzukis still seem to be the most economic option. If you’re thinking about 250s, then Tohatsus may be the most economic choice. Both have full 5-year warranties.
Appreciate the advice. I had entertained the idea of buying an older boat with worn out engines since it would leverage purchase price. Only concern is, I do plan on financing a good portion even though i will be putting down a decent amount to soften the payment but going to be a lil tough forking out 60k+ for new 300 yams. i know yams are high but ive had 2 over the years and never once had a wrench turned on them so im sold. granted, this will be the first 4 stroke ive owned but im a maintenance freak, ha.

chuck001

Reaction score
"how about maintenance budgeting?"

Hi,

Welcome to the forum...

Lots of variables here:
Are you boating year round?
How many hours per year are you running?
Are you doing the maintenance yourself?
Are you asking about maintenance only or are you also asking about repairs?
Are you the "open checkbook" type or do you delay expenses?
You mentioned towing... does that mean the boat won't be stored in the water for weeks at a time?
thanks for replying JJF:
id say boating 9 months of the year and hibernate her for the winter.
not sure of hours but im sure her props will be turning at every chance i get.
definitely maintenance myself.
i dont particularly like the idea of open checkbook, so id like to tuck away a percent over my payment to a boat kitty. any advice here?
i really dont like the idea of boat in water considering i have no problem towing and already have the right truck. so weighing the costs of slip, bottom paint, etc., vs trailer, shed, DOT fees, etc.. id rather launch and load even though is more involved.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
ok..

If you are trailering and doing your own maintenance and winterization, then I'd figure about $3k - $4k for maintenance and minor repairs.

Storage is highly variable by area, so I can't comment on that...

I hope this helps.

Good luck...

seasick

Reaction score
A general rule for estimating annual costs is 10% of the purchase price. The costs vary based on locale related storage/dockage rates as well as labor rates since you say you won't be doing the maintenance. This estimate includes things like insurance ( which is going up each year due to the increase in claims for weather related claims:(

Running charters will probably increase your annual expenses since your insurance will be higher and you should protect yourself by incorporating your business ( and that bump up expenses.
To be honest, as a boat for chartering outings for non fishing trips, the Marlin is a poor choice in my opinion.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Since the 30 Marlin hasn't changed much in 20 years, there are a lot to choose from. Don't be afraid of an older hull that's been repowered-as long as it surveys ok

. Early 2000's that got repowered 4/5 years ago will probably the best bang for your buck as they have some hours and the power isn't "new" anymore... but also isnt original to the boat so you can have digital controls/modern engines.