Price My Boat - 2004 Marlin 300

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey everyone! Looking for your thoughts on pricing my boat -- thinking about making a change... What do you think this will go for (I know there are a lot of variables)?

2004 Marlin 300
Twin Yamaha F225 w/ 1250 hours (run great)
Full electronics - but dated
Air Conditioning, Windlass, Hard Top
Good condition, not perfect (no mechanical issues)
Located near Boston

Thanks in advance for your input!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Id estimate 45K with corrosion kits on motors, 40 without. I know a guy here in the Northeast Looking for one. I have that set up on a 98, and love it. Bowthruster ?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Id estimate 45K with corrosion kits on motors, 40 without. I know a guy here in the Northeast Looking for one. I have that set up on a 98, and love it. Bowthruster ?

I'm thinking that is low...

$80K all day.

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Yes, bow thruster - it can be very helpful!

I think $45 would be a steal! Not that I wouldn’t love it, but $80 seems a bit high.

Anyone else?

Fishtales

Reaction score
go to boattrader.com 2003-2005 GW 30'.

after seeing the new prices yesterday at the show. clean her up well. ensure everything works. scope the engines and make sure they are serviced. $80K ask. You'll get in the high 70s.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just payed $50 for an 03 with brand new engines (25hrs) on a trailer but it does need a crack repaired in the hull. Also FWIW I live in the PNW where boat prices seem to be much higher than most other places. Last year there was a boat for sale just like yours, in my area, same engines around 900hrs, on a trailer. last time I saw the add before it was taken down it was at $85.

Last edited:

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yep, west coast grady’s go for a lot more. In my search I waited for 6 months for a 300 to pop up. Finally grabbed an 05 in so-cal for $80k.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Being in that market last spring/summer; I'd be thinking ask 70-75, and be happy with something in the 60's. The cold truth is that no matter how clean it is, it is 16 y/o with original motors and dated electronics. That also assuming the motors have had the corrosion addressed.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bow Thruster, Auto Pilot add some value

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The only x factor in that boat is the engines. For 40k I would buy with the intention of immediately repowering. But if you have the engines fully checked out, scoped and powerheads inspected, all must be documented, then with the options you have going for you I would think the 60k range would be your bottom line and 70k top end

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm assuming your engines are in decent shape but even if not $40 seems awfully cheap. I'd repower and keep if that was the case. I'd talk to a few yards and definitely use the web to get some comps.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have a 2004 Grady Marlin. It has a bow thruster, diesel generator, A/C and updated electronics and F225s. I asked a Grady broker a couple of years what I could get for it, he thought about 65-75 FWIW. I ended up repowering. I do think the used boat market currently seems to be trending in the right direction. The ask on 300 Marlins seem like they have creeped up over the last year or so on the internet. Good luck.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Was that retail or trade? Just curious as the new Marlins sticker is around $350K these days.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
It was a quick email back after asking what I could possibly get for my boat at that time. Very informal. I spoke to a couple of brokers today at the show and they were much more positive about the price and the market for Marlins. They could be just looking to add my boat to inventory. I think the thing to do is to ask broker to perform a market study for you and stalk the boats for sale of the market( like Fishtales links) and compare your rig to those boats for sale and their asking price.
It's too bad that new boats, cars, and college tuition price increases over the past decade have outpaced inflation

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, those prices sure make it attractive to buy one that is already broken-in. 8^)

Last edited: