Prices for a New 236 Fisherman

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Howdy. This is my first post on this forum.

My wife and I are seriously looking at a new 236 Fisherman. We just sold our 18' Boston Whaler classic Outrage. We loved that boat, but as my family grew along with no comfortable seating and effectively no stoarge, we sold it. I had that Whaler for 7 years and was absolutely fearless in it. My wife grew up on a 225 Tournament and her grandparents had a 282 Sailfish. So when I suggested let our next boat be a grady, I immediately got a smile :)

Here's my question - what can I expect to pay for a new 236? Back in January of 2020 we got quoted 127k out the door, but we weren't ready to buy at that time. However, just yesterday I got quoted 152k out the door. That's from the same guy at the same dealer. Now I understand the covid deal with the fewer boats being made, but can that alone be responsible for a 25k price increase? Since there's only one dealer in my state, I really really really do not like not being able to get quotes from different dealers. Not being able to shop around is actually a turn off for me. I understand Grady doesn't want me trailering the boat across territories to get it serviced, but I've also heard dealers have different markups, which makes it even more of an incentive to shop around. Any tips or suggestions here? Feel free to pm me and we can talk privately on the phone.

Thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
Same model years? Did you get the quote in writing? If not, it is hard to compare what the increases are.
I would also have asked why the price was so much higher than last January.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Different model years. The quote from January was for a 2020 whereas the quote I got yesterday was for a 2021. The "percent discount" (percentage between the retail/mspr and sale price) for the 2020 model was 17% whereas the percent discount for the 2021 model was almost 7%.

I have both quotes in writing.

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting to know. I am not sure when the 2020 was available for delivery but somehow that extra 10% must have kicked in. Could be one of those promo times.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Yes, the 2020 was during a major boat show which was a part of the incentive. But I also thought those incentives were always "available" should the dealer want to make a deal. I will ask if my dealer will honor the percentage discount they gave me back in January.

What percentage discount would be considered a good "deal" under the current circumstances?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Here's my question - what can I expect to pay for a new 236? Back in January of 2020 we got quoted 127k out the door, but we weren't ready to buy at that time. However, just yesterday I got quoted 152k out the door.

That's very high. I was looking at that boat, let me see if I have my quote. Yep, and my memory is wrong, I was thinking of the 216. Back in January the 216 was $92K, $101K out the door. The 236 was $118K, $129K out the door. Both those were with my "coaches discount", I was the hockey coach of the sales guys kid.

Your $152K is about what I'd expect. Boats are hugely in demand right now, nobody is taking that expensive vacation so there is more money to be thrown at a boat. I got really lucky with my timing on my 228, it was $129K out the door, I bet anything it is closer to $160K now.

It sucks, but it is supply and demand. Back when I was shopping, I priced a 208, it was about $30K cheaper. That 30K buys 2 more feet of deck space and a bracket and a 50HP bigger engine. It doesn't make sense that it is $30K more, $15K, sure, $30K? I asked the dealer and he just smiled and said "People pay it".

I suspect that used prices are way up as well.

I'd call all the dealers you can find. Or look here, there is a cherry 2019 236 for under $130K:

You can get a boat shipped anywhere for less than $5K.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I am calling all the dealers I can find. I have out-of-state family who are helping me get quotes from their local dealers. I've found that I cannot get a quote from a dealer outside my area. But considering how much money these boats are, it pays to see what others can get. I could always ask my dealer to match the quote my dad got in Flordia, right?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Call the dealers that advertise on boats.com and other sites, they are more hungry. I think it was max marine in florida that was very willing to work with me.

If it were me, I'd buy this:

That's basically new and priced right. Tell them $130K delivered and see what they say.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I've looked at the 2019 model you sent the link to, it looks very nice. That motor has 48 hours on it, which is basically nothing. I've seen other 2017-2018 236s have 200 to 300 hours on them, so this 2019 with 48 hours on it is ideal.

What I may do it to counter the 152k quote on a new 236 with 134k which is the same percent discount they gave me back in January on a then-new 2020 model. Those numbers include tax, title, and a trailer. I only like to work with out the door price trailer included.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
That 2019 doesn't seem to have a trailer so it is priced high. Has a lot of stuff added, including electronics. Hmm maybe it's OK.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW only lets you buy from your geographically designated dealer for new model year boats. Once it’s a model year old, any dealer can sell to anyone.

Start searching for a leftover 2020. If your local dealer doesn’t want to do a dealer trade, hit the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Great idea. So far I've only found one 2020 and that's in Alabama. I am working to get a quote on it.

Cregeis

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I just bought a new 275 and the dealer did match the same discount percentage he had given me pre COVID-19. It took a little negotiation but not much. I also negotiated the price of electronics at the time of the sale as well. My only advice is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples as your options can add up fast!

Reactions: JJMag

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Cregeis, great news. I hope to do the same. What i'll do is counter with the same discount percentage he gave me 10 months ago on the 2021 retail price. If the dealer wants some money vs no money, maybe he'll deal. Regarding electronics, that's not something I need right away. I can get by without a fancy

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Dave, what happened to the idea of calling around for a 2020? Dealers seem to hate last years model but a Grady is a Grady, last years model is fine. The dealers know that people want the latest and greatest but that's for knuckleheads. If you can start playing dealers off each other, I bet you can move the price back into just sort of crazy instead of the markups they are doing that are batshit crazy.

I'm retired and I like shopping, if you tell me where you are (Northeast?), I can start poking around if you want. I'd want to know your wish list.

Also, looking at 2019s that have electronics and are sorted, that could be a thing.

I say all this because I really overpaid to get brand new because I was burned badly by my first boat. Knowing what I know now, if I could have found a 2018/2019 with less than 200 hours on the engine, electronics I liked, kicker I liked, maintenance records I liked, price I liked, I would have saved some money that way. I had a unique situation where the money didn't matter for once, but still, its money.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Luckydude,

Thank you so much for assisting. I'm located in Houston and are pretty much looking at a stock 236 with the addition of the t-top, anchor/windlass, head, deluxe leaning post w/ livewell, casting platform w/ cushion and table, and ski pylon. I'm not too picky on the gel coat color. I will need a trailer.

Too be honest, I'm not in a hurry to get electronics. I only really used the gps on my Whaler offshore when I didn't have sight of land, but anywhere I've fished in Galveston bay has always been founded by locating birds, bait in the water, signs of life etc. Plus I know my way around Galveston Bay, so I don't need a 5 grand big screen GPS to tell me where to go.

There's one 2020 236 located in Alabama that I've found and are working to get a quote. My local dealer in Houston doesn't have any 236s, so if I order a new one then it won't arrive for a few months which is ok with me. I do really like fall fishing in Texas, but when I sold my Whaler a month ago I new it was going to be a little while without a boat. Once we get past the holidays, the fishing in Houston doesn't really pick up until April and May. I've just never enjoyed being out in the winter months anyways,

netbender

Reaction score
I am also in the market, but for a 205 or 208. GW pushed me to a "local" dealership. I viewed their web site, not a GW on the lot. As a matter of fact, very few boats on the lot period. Doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling when they are a smaller dealership. I did not know that any 2020 can now be bought through any dealership. That is helpful information. I also have been told by my local dealer that GW is only taking orders for 2022 now. Is that true?

Fishtales

Reaction score
153 for a 23’ wow. I guess the covid tax is higher than I thought.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I talked to Dave for a few hours today. I think for him, the 236 (which was my first choice) is the shnizzle, it is the right boat for him. I encouraged him to look at used. Good guy, he will sort it.