Pricing on new canvas

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am going to start getting some quotes on new canvas for my Marlin. At present, I am leaning toward the new style ivory which GW now offers. Has anyone had canvas done lately on a 300? What should I expect to pay for canvas equivalent to what GW installs on current models?

Any tips would also be appreciated. :D

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
MBs

The ivory is actually a product called Stamoid and has a different feel than canvas- its more like a vinyl. I updated my canvas last year using the Stamoid, but I used cream, as this matched the gelcoat better. It held up very well and is easy to clean. I received several quotes, all remarkably close to each other, but each had a different manner of proceeding. One would use my existing canvas as a pattern, another wanted the boat at his dock for a couple of weeks, a third didn't want to travel more than a couple of miles and didn't want to work in the winter.

As I was shopping around I had the canvas with me, thinking that an estimate would be easier. The first place wanted to see the boat before giving a quote- and this was a place recommended by a Grady dealer. In fact I saw some work he did on a Marlin and admitted he was familiar with boat, yet without it being at his dock no firm quote was forthcoming.

The next guy really knew his stuff. I showed him my existing canvas and after looking at the first two pieces he asked "What year Grady?" before I had had a chance to tell him what kind of boat I owned.

The boat next to me, a cruiser had his canvas done just before mine, by a guy everyone was "claiming to be the best around". My canvas looks much better. The finishing is better, the canvas is tighter with no wrinkles and the overall fit just looks more polished.