Primer Bulb Issue

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Got the regular service done on the motors (twin F225s) by my mechanic and I'm scheduled to put the boat in this Sunday, rain or shine. He mentioned that one of the two primer bulbs is not hard and said it may have an issue starting. He didn't have a chance to look at it, but I want to do some proactive measures before he can come down again on Saturday evening. I put some more fuel in the boat the other afternoon on land to check if one of the fuel tanks (main tank holds 156 and the aux holds 150 which I assign each motor to separate tanks for weight distribution) was low (as I like to empty most of it before the winter so that I can put fresh gas in the spring). I started pumping the ball and I do hear fuel going in. Mind you, the bulb isn't deflated at all. It's just the one is rock hard and the other I can squeeze with just a little resistance. Could it be the fact it was just sitting on land since last October? I'd like your input on what I should do/get before the mechanic returns? Should I pick up some primer bulbs?

Thanks,

Mike

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a problem with the bulb, and not really sure it is a problem. Is the boat on a trailer in your yard? Why not run in a tub to check for problems?

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up one of those big rubbermaid plastic garbage cans and fill it with cold water while also using the fresh water hose connector on the side of the motor and turn key. Should be okay since I don't have the ear muffs I presume, right? Once the motor turns, the bulb should probably tighten up I presume. Don't want to overthink it, but want to be proactive if it's something obvious.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those plastic garbage cans aren't large enough for those big girls. I use a blue plastic 55-gal drum bought for $10. Took a sawzall and cut off few inches from the top. Still have to squeeze in on the lower unit to make it fit. Nice thing about it, I mix a batch of salt-away in the drum and let the engine run for about 20-minutes. Really flushes it out good and I check things when the engine is running. Dump the water in the driveway and notice the crusty stuff that comes out of the engines. If you're still having doubts about those primer bulbs, just remove the hose from the output side, get a coffee can and pump away.

seasick

Reaction score
Lil Lucky said:
I was thinking of picking up one of those big rubbermaid plastic garbage cans and fill it with cold water while also using the fresh water hose connector on the side of the motor and turn key. Should be okay since I don't have the ear muffs I presume, right? Once the motor turns, the bulb should probably tighten up I presume. Don't want to overthink it, but want to be proactive if it's something obvious.
If there are no electric primer pumps and I don't think there are, the bulb will not get hard when the motor starts. It may actually get softer since the motor would be pumping fuel from the bulb. A soft bulb can be a symptom of a 'leaky' check valve in the bulb itself. If the motor is running well and you don't see fuel leaking anywhere (and no sheen on the water , I wouldn't be all that concerned.

Fishtales

Reaction score
i have f250s and ive never used the bulbs. FWIW mine tend to be soft as well.