Pro Mariner vs Guest Chargers.

ahill

Reaction score
My 1998 Guest is giving me concerns.
Any experience with PM or late model Guest?
PM are not "potted" where Guest is and I've been told potted is better.
Thanks

can129

Reaction score
chargers

I have no technical response to your question, but I have had two ProMariner chargers go out for no apparent reason. The Power light just goes off and the charger is no longer working. I bought this brand because other posts liked them and the price. I for one will not buy another promariner and will just use my car battery charger when needed.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I don't know if you're looking for a permanent onboard charger or not, but I have two X2 Dual Xtreme Charge chargers and I love them. This charger will charge and maintain two batteries on your boat and it's as simple as plugging and unplugging a pig tail to connect and disconnect. The two circuits are completely independent of one another so on my Bass Tracker I can charge the starting battery and the deep cycle trolling motor battery with one charger. On my Grady it keeps both my Grp 27 batteries charged all the time. You can check it out @www.extremecharge.com.
I bought them from Batterystuff.com and have been very happy with them. They also pulse and de-sulfate the plates of the battery to help them last longer. Let me know what you think of them.

seabob4

Reaction score
At Proline, we used to use Guest chargers up until 2006. My good friend, the ProMariner rep, brought me a ProMariner ProSport 20+ to evaluate. Said it was totally waterproof, I could drop it in a bucket of water...so I hooked up a set of leads to a group 24 Nautilus, plugged it in and did just that. Came back 3 days later. The batt was charged, the green (good to go light) was lit, and that charger is still going strong on my buddy's boat today. And our cost was $40 less than the Guest! We're still using them, and I recommend nothing else... :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can,

ironically, I've had two Guest chargers quit, one wrecked two Series 31 batts on me from overcharging, the later still works, a battery company should be selling them. The former still works, only on one output. Both pottted that's why I bought them.

Did you contact PM with the issues? I hear they do onwers very well that way.

Don't know if PM is potted, the alum heat sink is exposed unlike the Guest, however it is sealed and claims to be waterproof. Mounted on my transom, I'd never mount a charger in the bilge wash anyway.

Wished the PM had 2 foot longer DC leads. But it refuses to overcharge my batts, so it's fine with me.

seabob4

Reaction score
BobP said:
Can,

ironically, I've had two Guest chargers quit, one wrecked two Series 31 batts on me from overcharging, the later still works, a battery company should be selling them. The former still works, only on one output. Both pottted that's why I bought them.

Did you contact PM with the issues? I hear they do onwers very well that way.

Don't know if PM is potted, the alum heat sink is exposed unlike the Guest, however it is sealed and claims to be waterproof. Mounted on my transom, I'd never mount a charger in the bilge wash anyway.

Wished the PM had 2 foot longer DC leads. But it refuses to overcharge my batts, so it's fine with me.

Bob,
PM sells a kit that allows you to extend the leads, But I have been doing it with Stamas and Proline for the last 10 years with 10GA. At Stamas, we just did it. At Proline, we have PMs OK on it...

uncljohn

Reaction score
I've had a Guest portable charger for 7 years. I only charge my batts about 1x a month, so not daily/weekly use, but I haven't had any issues. Batts sat all winter in the boat, were dead as doornails a few weeks ago, put the Guest on overnight and good to go!

ahill

Reaction score
OK, how about Dual Pro, my local Grady dealer swears by them?
I was set to buy a PM but they have customers that encountered slow charging rates from them.

elloco2

Reaction score
Interesting read about the issues with the ProMariner chargers. If I was asked a couple years ago I would have told you absolutely no doubt, great little chargers. I work in a local West Marine store and have for a while, so I've been able to see a couple chargers come and go and what's hot at the time and whatnot.

A few years back we had a training seminar about the ProMariner chargers and they seemed to be the hottest charger on the market with the distributive technology (not having dedicated amperage outputs on each of the charge legs) and we sold a ton of them. They seemed to be a nice compact, relatively inexpensive charger. As a side note, I also do electronics installations and marine electrical. We installed quite a few of these things on various boats. After installing quite a few of these chargers, and having to go down to swap the chargers out (after they stopped working 6 months or so later) we decided in the store to take one apart and see if we could come up with any visible solutions. Interesting find, the fuses on the AC side of the charger seemed to be the problem with a lot of these chargers. Not saying they're horrible chargers by any means, I'm sure they work great when they work, but only stating my experience.

To make a long story longer, when we decided to swap out the charger on the Grady we decided to go with the Xantrex Truecharge 2, an updated version of the old Truecharge (and now also sharing that distributive technology). I hate to add another confusing option into the mix, but I thought I'd throw it out there as it's been great ever since!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know PM sells extenders, the shortest one is 5 ft.
Not readily available locally - would have to mail order and not so cheap relatively speaking.
So I buy the charger for 160 bucks and have to pay 35 bucks to get one extender? That doesn't sit with me well. Extenders should available factory direct with proof of charger purchase for cost, free shipping, as I see it.

I made my own extender too for one battery.
PM already profitted on my purchase, not about to let them double dip on "accessories".

But the Guest charger had leads a foot or two longer, no need for extenders. Basically my one negative PM comment.

ProMariner

Reaction score
Re: chargers

can129 said:
I have no technical response to your question, but I have had two ProMariner chargers go out for no apparent reason. The Power light just goes off and the charger is no longer working. I bought this brand because other posts liked them and the price. I for one will not buy another promariner and will just use my car battery charger when needed.

Can129,

Jim from ProMariner here.

I would really like to work with you and correct this unfortuant situation.

ProMariner is a company which stands behind it products and values its customers.

We are a group of boaters and fisherman and understand what it is like to own a boat.

Please contact me directly so I can discuss your situation and vessel to make sure we size the appropreiate charger to fix this sernario once and for all.

Jim Mitchell
Manager, Technical Services Group
ProMariner
603-766-7603
jmitchell@pmariner.com

ProMariner

Reaction score
elloco2 said:
Interesting read about the issues with the ProMariner chargers. If I was asked a couple years ago I would have told you absolutely no doubt, great little chargers. I work in a local West Marine store and have for a while, so I've been able to see a couple chargers come and go and what's hot at the time and whatnot.

A few years back we had a training seminar about the ProMariner chargers and they seemed to be the hottest charger on the market with the distributive technology (not having dedicated amperage outputs on each of the charge legs) and we sold a ton of them. They seemed to be a nice compact, relatively inexpensive charger. As a side note, I also do electronics installations and marine electrical. We installed quite a few of these things on various boats. After installing quite a few of these chargers, and having to go down to swap the chargers out (after they stopped working 6 months or so later) we decided in the store to take one apart and see if we could come up with any visible solutions. Interesting find, the fuses on the AC side of the charger seemed to be the problem with a lot of these chargers. Not saying they're horrible chargers by any means, I'm sure they work great when they work, but only stating my experience.

To make a long story longer, when we decided to swap out the charger on the Grady we decided to go with the Xantrex Truecharge 2, an updated version of the old Truecharge (and now also sharing that distributive technology). I hate to add another confusing option into the mix, but I thought I'd throw it out there as it's been great ever since!

Elloco2,

That is great feed back and true with the AC fuses on some ProTechi units. When we had the product originally tested by UL underwriters Labratories the unit passed with flying colors. Once they were shipped all over we found that about 1% based on locations would blow the AC fuse. A simple solution was to change the fuse to a slow blow or slow reacting fuse which we immediatly did. Since then the units have proven to be great little work horses with no AC fuse issues unless someone wires it incorrectly :D .

I hope this helps.

ProMariner

Reaction score
BobP said:
I know PM sells extenders, the shortest one is 5 ft.
Not readily available locally - would have to mail order and not so cheap relatively speaking.
So I buy the charger for 160 bucks and have to pay 35 bucks to get one extender? That doesn't sit with me well. Extenders should available factory direct with proof of charger purchase for cost, free shipping, as I see it.

I made my own extender too for one battery.
PM already profitted on my purchase, not about to let them double dip on "accessories".

But the Guest charger had leads a foot or two longer, no need for extenders. Basically my one negative PM comment.

BobP,

I just wanted you to know that we will sell extenders directly and do provide a much discounted rate on any ProMariner products an existing customer wants to purchase. Copper is expensive but I think we provide a good value. Regardless I wanted you to know that it depends on what models you look at specifically but our competitors manufacture chargers with 4' to 6' leads depending on which models. We use 5' leads on all models but ProTournament units which come standard at 6' and if you order a long which is only a few dollars more you can get 9' leads and a 12'

All the best and happy boating.

Jim

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Jim,
I for one appreciate the direct and open response from PM. I just fried the factory installed charger (bilge filling with water is another story) and I need to replace it. I'll email you directly.

can129

Reaction score
Jim at ProMariner, Replacement Charger

I would like to let everyone know that I called Jim at ProMariner at his request to discuss my problems with my PM charger. He was very concerned that my charger had failed twice and discussed the changes PM had made to their chargers to prevent this problem. Jim is replaceing my charger and feels that I will have no further problems. He also noted that if I had any concerns after receiving the new unit to call him direct.

This goes a long way in showing how many people read this web site. I reccomend that we all continue to post both good and bad product info here.

Thanks again to Jim at ProMariner.
CAN

can129

Reaction score
Jim at ProMariner, Replacement Charger

I would like to let everyone know that I called Jim at ProMariner at his request to discuss my problems with my PM charger. He was very concerned that my charger had failed twice and discussed the changes PM had made to their chargers to prevent this problem. Jim is replaceing my charger and feels that I will have no further problems. He also noted that if I had any concerns after receiving the new unit to call him direct.

This goes a long way in showing how many people read this web site. I reccomend that we all continue to post both good and bad product info here.

Thanks again to Jim at ProMariner.
CAN

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Most maine manufactures are in a bad bad sitiuation right now!!!

I'm glad PM stepped up to this and now will tell all my customers that's the charger you want