problem fueling 2008 Gulfstream

pwake7

Reaction score
I had the same problem this summer and had a quick fix. Its air in the line which wont let the gas go down. I was frustrated as hell like you were. Easiest thing to do is get a air pump. Your marina should have it. Make sure you put a rag in the hole when you start blowing the air down the gas tank, otherwise gas will go everywhere. Fixed the problem in a matter of seconds.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
232 Fueling

Had the same problem with my 2007 232. 2 issues were discovered by the dealer. (1) Fuel hose had a belly in it. A 12" pice was cut out which eliminated the hose belly, (2) The small vent flapper in the fill neck was missing and replaced by the dealer.

Never had a problem after the fix.

Good luck

georgemjr

Reaction score
Just-in-Time is exactly correct. I read this thread with great interest, as I had experienced the exact same problem with my '01 Sailfish. I used a funnel like Bob P. suggested and never had the problem again. KISS, use a funnel - problem solved.

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thanks again for the input into my problem. We after burning off about 30 gallons of fuel (2.5 hrs at 70% throttle), I went to the fuel pump. I started pumping slow and could see gas spilling out of the interior vent tube and back into the main fuel hose (as noted before the interior vent tube is about 1/2 inch down into the fuel input). After about 5 or so gallons, the vent tube started spitting out quite a bit of fuel to the point where I had to slow down fueling the boat. Then after another 5 gallons fueling started to go normal (but fuel did continue to come out of the vent tube the entire time I was pumping fuel into the boat). I ended up putting 100 gallons into the boat (so back when it was backing up and not going down, the tank still had room for about 70 gallons of fuel - Yet the gas was level with the top of the fuel input like it was 101% full).

I have reviewed the fuel tube diagrams that came with the owners manual and am still surprised at what happened. But the good news is that there appears to be nothing wrong with the Grady, just got to be more careful when filling up the boat using gas containers.

I do wonder if the vent tube is longer than it should be, but if I don't have problems in the future (being careful not to get gas into the vent tube), sounds like I am good to go.

thanks again for all the feedback!

Rick from VA.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
BobP said:
If the newer Gradys don't have a vent on the side of the hull, where does the vent exit?

There needs to be a free flow of air in and out of the tank when fill cap is in place. Has to be external somewhere, especially for times when the gas volume expands in sunlight and pushes out the air space to make up for it.

It vents in the neck at the top.

grady23

Reaction score
Mostl likley a vented cap on the newer boats. Otherwise, when the tank reaches a negative pressure point the system will refuse to give up fuel when the air is not replaced

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
it's sounding like my problem. time to call the dealer and have it fixed. they may have to shorten the run.

with my year, if you got win f200's, they had to switch the locations of the main and aux tanks. probably didn't switch the precut (?) fuel lengths though.

i wouldn't fight this if i were you, jut have them handle it.

canalbrat2

Reaction score
I had a 2008 Gulfstream with the twin 150s and encountered the same problem the second time I filled up the tank. I contacted the dealer, who contacted Grady White about the problem. Apparently the fill line is too long on the 232. The dealership corrected the problem under warranty by removing some of the line. Problem soved. Your dealership should be able to correct it under warranty.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Elyse,
the belly in the line doesn't matter since the deck fill is higher than the top of the tank anyway.

What matters is keeping the vent line clear of liquid.
Otherwise the main line will erupt and puke fuel out while filling, unless filling very very slow -not practical.

If anyone looks down the fill line and sees fuel, it's probably the top of column in the belly of the line. That's ok.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the slack was in both fill and vent. that mattered alot. once it was cut out, perfect filling.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The belly in the vent line makes a difference, if gas gets sloshed up into it from the tank end, as well at the deck fill end, in your case.