Problems with Garmin GPS

Frank G

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 2006 GPS as the back up to our Furuno Navnet 2. Last week when we left the dock, the pointer did not move and it had a red question mark flashing over it. In addition, the SOG and COG were blank. At first when I turn it on it shows no satellite but later seems to find something. I talked with Garmin tech... support and the conversation reminded me of going to an Apple store. You need a tech degree just to understand their helpful comments. I suspect that the antenna may be the problem but am surprised that it would have gone bad already. Any suggestions?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same issue in June. (2008 4208 Model)I tried a new drop cable and ultimately had to purchase a new antenna. Do check all the female connections though as you may have some corrosion.

Do you have any other networked devices which are working? (ff, fuel man)
Did you remove power from the backbone cable (remove the fuse) and get an error message? The antenna, backbone, must have power (12 V) to it.

If yes to both of these questions, it likely is the antenna. I did find one on internet without all the mounting accessories for $125.
Are you close to a vendor of Garmin stuff that you could buy an antenna and if it is not the problem, return it?