Products for maintaining painted hulls vs gel coat?

NCcruiser

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
This is my first boat that’s painted, vs having colored gel coat. Do i special wax, polish etc for painted hulls to detail the boat? Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Are you sure its painted and not gelcoat?
When I look at tge Grady page for hull colors, they are all gel coat.Regardless, it's new so call Grady and ask how to care for it. Th user's manual should have a section on hull care.
All that aside, I know of one friends who had a painted hull. That hull did not like shrink wrap at all. The band around the hull that hold the shrink wrap in place would leave a mark and if the wind caused the shrink wrap to move a tad, the paint would get scratched. To be fair, I don't know what the hull was painted with but whatever it was, I would avoid it.

NCcruiser

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Yes it’s painted. Grady just last week removed all painted color options from their website, they told me they “reached the limit of painted boats they can do this year”, but mine is seaport blue paint

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know that. My recommendation still applies, ask Grady what they recommend.
My comments about the rub marks from shrink wrap apply too until I hear differently. I would hope that the current paint is a lot tougher than the pait my friend had.
Good luck with the new baby!

Last edited:
Reactions: NCcruiser

BobbyMac

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
If you have Awl-grip as your hull paint, you should follow their recommendations for maintenanc.
* No wax….ever!
* Wash with Awl-wash
* instead of wax, use Awl-Care. A light liquid applied, dries to haze, remove with COTTON ONLY
* Shrink-wrap to the rub-rail, never on the painted surface.
* Remember……it’s paint!

seasick

Reaction score
If you have Awl-grip as your hull paint, you should follow their recommendations for maintenanc.
* No wax….ever!
* Wash with Awl-wash
* instead of wax, use Awl-Care. A light liquid applied, dries to haze, remove with COTTON ONLY
* Remember……it’s paint!
BobbyMac,
Good to know. Did you find out about the shrink wrap only to the rub rail by personal experience? I hope not:)

BobbyMac

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
BobbyMac,
Good to know. Did you find out about the shrink wrap only to the rub rail by personal experience? I hope not:)
Seasick,
I found out from several source:
Onset Bay Marine in Wareham, MA was the vendor that performed the paint job.
Second was Niemiec Marine in New Bedford that winterized and stored the boat.
They do a first class job with Shink-wrap. They knew the moment I mentioned Awl-grip that the wrap needed to be taped to the rub-rail, and nothing below that. Several boaters had mentioned problems when that much hear is applied over the paint job.
I had an Albin 28 at the time. Looked absolutely gorgeous.

NCcruiser

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
* No wax….ever!
* Wash with Awl-wash
* Remember……it’s paint!
That’s great information, thank you so much!!

Macrophylla

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I think someone at Grady steered you wrong on this (or your color is Harbor Blue not Sea Port Blue), our Freedom is Sea Port Blue and it is a gel coat color not paint. I believe the only paint colors are/were Harbor Blue and Cape Grey.

Double checked our bill of sale on the options selected and it clearly states "GEL COAT SEA PORT BLUE"

NCcruiser

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks Macrophylla. No wrong steering here: Buyer's order clearly states "Painted Hull Seaport Blue-235"... and I paid a premium for that, so def not gelcoat ;-) . The fact that they removed Seaport Blue and the other paint colors from their current website also points to that.

Macrophylla

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Truly weird, that is completely different than my bill-of-sale and this dealer brochure I found before they changed things. Noticed they discontinued another Gelcoat color recently as well. Maybe it is related to supply chain shortages and the labor challenge they are facing. Still wonder why yours is painted and mine is gelcoat sounds like we both got our boats this year.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 2.27.05 PM.png

NCcruiser

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
That is truly weird, no idea why that is... I bet you're right and it has something to do with supply chain... what's also weird is that they removed Seaport Blue as a paint option from their website a week after I ordered...