Programming Yamaha Speed/Fuel guage

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I am a new owner of a 2007 305 Express. I, unfortunately, thought the Speed/Fuel guage could be programmed to show remaining fuel. I screwed up the programing and now have no idea about the fuel level, nor do I know how much fuel is in either tank. I just added 200 gallons of which the majority of fuel was used to fill the forward fuel fill tank. I assumed that this was the main tank fill. I set the fuel sensor to Yamaha but maybe this should be US sensor. I also do not know where to set the fuel levers. I currently have them both set to main.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can’t remember exactly. Recommend you get the manual and start from scratch reprogramming what you’d like to see. The fuel remaining is strictly a subtraction problem from when you set fuel on board. Doesn’t read directly off the tanks. Tank levels are graph gauges on the right side. Left being main right being auxiliary and I believe if I remember correctly have to be set to the US standard. Good luck!

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks for the info. I have studied the gushed manual but still find it confusing. Glad to find out main tank is left graph and need to set at US for sensir. I set at Yamaha and that might be part of problem. I would like to add a gagged which reads remaining fuel though. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fuel remaining can be quite accurate if you remember to reset your on board fuel every time you refuel and if you can figure out exactly how much is on board when you reset. It doesn’t use gauge readings for fuel remaining calculations. It is only as accurate as your initial input which can be off quite a bit. A separate gauge would require some sort of device to add your tank levels which vary a lot depending on the attitude of the boat. Best to look at your gauges to determine fuel remaining. I don’t use Yamahas gauge fuel remaining calculation personally!

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks Bill. I think I will look into a separate gauge that would give a direct read on both tanks. I plan to go 75 miles offshore and I like a direct read.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Success! I changed the sensor reading to US instead of Yamaha. Still don' t like the idea of not having a direct read of gallons left. Poor design.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Remember the quantity will change significantly based on the Boats pitch attitude. Therefore mostly inaccurate unless calibrated to a specific pitch attitude. One way to calculate: each bar graph has 10 segments, one segment equals 1/10 of the total capacity, in my case main = 300 gallons each segment equals 30 gallons, 150 gallon tank each segment equals 15 gallons, all you have to do is multiply the number of segments for each tank and then multiply them by the quantity segment for each tank and add them together. Still variable by attitude. As the good old boys say “the gun don’t shoot that straight!”