ProMariner ProSport 20 Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2 Ba

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Looking to install battery charger any recommendations? is this a good one?

Attachments

• 917N9lP2SNL._SL1500_.jpg
    917N9lP2SNL._SL1500_.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 3,363

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Re: ProMariner ProSport 20 Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24 Volt,

There has to be a few of you guy that have installed a battery charger? any thoughts????
:huh

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Paitience - good things come to those who wait! :) There may be other guys who have done this, but aren't on the computer all the time.

Need more info... where will it be installed, how many batteries do you use, are you replacing a current one, what size is the current one, do you have shorepower already?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

I have had that exact one for about 6 months. No problem so far. I have a Pro Tournament, 300 four bank on my 330 and it seems to be Ok as well. I have talked to their technical folks at length and they seem to be available and provide good customer service. Time will tell.

gradywhite248

Reaction score

Thank for the follow ups. Really not in a hurry just a long list of items to order with a limited time. Let's just say the UPS guy and I are on a first name bases. Amizon is loving me. I'll go with the one above. Really cold in the Carolina's last week was 8 Deg and needed to get something on the battery's.

gradywhite248

Reaction score

gradywhite248 said:
Thank for the follow ups. Really not in a hurry just a long list of items to order with a limited time. Let's just say the UPS guy and I are on a first name bases. Amizon is loving me. I'll go with the one above. Really cold in the Carolina's last week was 8 sets and needed to get something on the battery's.
Oh yea two batteries and no shore power. Wish I did

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

That should work out nicely for you. Pro Mariner is a very good company and while they make even better chargers than the Pro Sport series, the ProSports are nothing to laugh at. Charles, by the way, makes very good chargers, too. Do you have any plans to possibly add a third battery? If so, bump up to the "plus" model. Other than that, just make sure you follow the directions closely regarding the proper type of wire to use and fuse/breaker sizing. Their manuals are very good and have all that information in there.

gradywhite248

Reaction score

DennisG01 said:
That should work out nicely for you. Pro Mariner is a very good company and while they make even better chargers than the Pro Sport series, the ProSports are nothing to laugh at. Charles, by the way, makes very good chargers, too. Do you have any plans to possibly add a third battery? If so, bump up to the "plus" model. Other than that, just make sure you follow the directions closely regarding the proper type of wire to use and wire/breaker sizing. Their manuals are very good and have all that information in there.

Thanks.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Never had a problem with that unit. Installed in 2009. You'll be happy with it.

suzukidave

Reaction score

i've never installed an onboard charger but isn't 20 amps a lot for a dual battery set up? i would normally be looking for something that throws out 2-3 amps per battery.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

suzukidave said:
i've never installed an onboard charger but isn't 20 amps a lot for a dual battery set up? i would normally be looking for something that throws out 2-3 amps per battery.

You're on the right track, if this was a 'one-speed' charger. Actually, even 1 amp will cook a battery. But the charger in question is a smart charger (not just a "trickle" charger - much better than that). It will only give the battery (ies) what it needs when it needs it. It then kicks down to a maintenance mode. The 20 amps is only the maximum - he could even use a much larger charger, if he wanted to.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

I installed the Minn Kota MK330D and it has been excellent so far in maintaining and charging my batteries.

billfish33

Reaction score

been very happy with the dualpro {pro line} ,
got it here, http://www.chargingchargers.com/marine- ... /pro2.html

I can't say enough about how well this charger has worked so far,
installed it over 5 years ago and hooked it up to my {2} 2 year old group 31 yellow-tops .
no problems at all ,and we still run those same yellow top batteries !!

with that said, what you have depending on the size of your batteries should be fine.