Prop brand recommendation?

azfireguy79

Reaction score
Took my 89 overnighter out on the lake the other day with a full load on the new 200HP Yamaha. The old 17 pitch stock prop is right where it needs to be (5500rpm @ WOT). I am interested in going with a Stainless :?: prop in the same size and wanted some opinions of what some of you use. I have looked at Michigan wheel Apollo 3 bade and stiletto 3 blade thus far. Your opinions are very much appreciated!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had good luck with Michigan Rapture props. I have also had good luck with Yamaha Saltwater Series props, but they are much more expensive.

Keep in mind that aluminum props typically do not "grab" as well as stainless props. With that mind, you may have to decrease your prop pitch slightly to get the same rpm. In other words, a boat that is properly trimmed out and hits 5500 rpm with a 17" aluminum prop will probably require a 16" stainless steel prop of the same diameter to reach the same rpm.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We don't have as big a choice in Oz but a mate just installed a mercury stainless 3 blader on his near new 300hpdi and is claiming an extra 1 -2 knots at cruise and 3 at WOT. The boat is a blackfin 25 centre console

petros

Reaction score
I have the same boat with a200 Merc.After going through a bunch of props i got my hands on a Mirage plus 15 1/2 X 17 and it fits all my needs.Amazing holeshot and midrange.Lost a little on the top speed but much higher mph at cruising.Full tank 4 Big guys 36 mph at 4000 rpm on GPS.This prop uses the torq flo hub and should fit your yamaha.If you need the model number let me know.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
prop

Michigan Ballistic 3 bladed SS on a 228 Seafarer w/ 250 Yami SWS II

gw204

Reaction score
My vote goes to Merc props as well. I'm running Mirage Plus wheels on my Sailfish and they perform great.

Keep an eye on Ebay. I picked up mine in near new condition for like $265 (for the pair).

azfireguy79

Reaction score
Hey thanks. Im bidding on one right now! DO you know where to get a hub kit so it will fit my Yamaha? I was thinking no luck with that on E-bay so maybe my local Marine Dealer here in Phoenix can help me out? Cheers!