Prop Damage: Repair or Replace

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In a mysterious turn of events, my prop has been damaged (I don't know how / when). When I bought the boat 4 years ago, I had the prop reconditioned. Should I be buying a new prop or can this be repaired?

All three blades are damaged. See Photos:

4639714088_bd0cf39422_o.jpg

4639108113_99d2a6de86_o.jpg

georgemjr

Reaction score
A good prop shop should be able to bring that back to as new condition. It would be cheaper to go that route. Unless you were thinking about changing pitch, it is probably the way to go...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Replace it and keep that one a spare to get you home in an emergency.

Do a search for Yamaha Props(or Merc - the Mirage Props perform well) on eBay. You can probably pick up a gently used one that someone else bought and then found it was the wrong size. I've bought and sold a half dozen props that way and pay about half the cost of a new one.

uncljohn

Reaction score
that prop looks pretty rusty. Was it like that 4 years ago after it was reconditioned?

I'm sure it could be ground down, but those are significant dings so it won't be 'like new'. The shop would need to grind a good 1/8-1/4" off the edges of every blade to get it even.

I'd do what Parthery said and buy a new one and keep this as a spare (after you get it ground down).

georgemjr

Reaction score
Prop shops don't just "grind down" dings. They add metal to the necessary areas re-shape and bring back to original size and shape and pitch. They also polish them in the process. If you ever have the opportunity, check out a reputable shop. Most will show you the process. They do return them to "as new."

rml2112

Reaction score
I just had my prop done, re hubed also, looks very nice much cheaper than a new one

richie rich

Reaction score
SwiftCloud, bring it to H&H propeller on the Salem/Beverly town line..I've used them before...good job and reasonable.

Pauleye

Reaction score
Prop Help

Go to PropMD.com Great work at a great price.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Suggestion about Effed-Up Prop

Send the pics to Bay Propeller in Chesapeake VA to see what he thinks - He's a good reliable shop. My two cents - it looks very repairable.

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That prop is absolutely repairable and a good prop shop will make it better than a new prop. What I mean by that is that most off the shelf props are not perfect. If you have them ran on a propscan machine the pitch varies widely making them at best "Class two or three"(a prop designation) . For most of our applications its close enough so it really doesn't matter but a good prop shop will return that prop to you as a "Class 1" prop and it will be cheaper than a new prop.