Prop pitch suggestion on 232 Gulfstream

Wholelottalove

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I recently bought a 2001 233 Gulfstream, during the sea trial with a 2003 225 Yamaha 4 stroke max speed was 30 at 5,800 rpm. Does anyone have the same setup ? Looking to buy a new prop, 15 pitch. Think it will make a difference ?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There are lots of styles for propellers. Some have bow lift, some designed to not cavitate etc. here is a Yamaha link that may help.
Sounds like you need bow lift prop, or your motor is too low on the transom. My 24 offshore gets 48 mph at 5900 with 2005 f250 Yamaha. I run a 21 pitch oem Yamaha saltwater series 2 prop. Promotes bow lift. Tried many. Other 21 pitch props I was running 43mph but bow was plowing. Lifted the bow and walla I was flying.

seasick

Reaction score
A few things come to mind:
Since you didn't say what the current prop size and pitch is, it is difficult to know if it may be incorrectly sized or if there is another problem.

The Gulfstream is a heavy hull for its length mainly due to the fact that is is a foot wider than most hulls in its length category.
Newer year Gulfstreams are rated for 400 horsepower. The F225 in my opinion is probably somewhat underpowered.
Factors like load, hull condition, prop spec and condition can all affect performance. How did you measure the speed and are you sure it was MPH and not knots?

Here is a thread posted a while back wit the same question

atmatthews1

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I recently bought a 2001 233 Gulfstream, during the sea trial with a 2003 225 Yamaha 4 stroke max speed was 30 at 5,800 rpm. Does anyone have the same setup ? Looking to buy a new prop, 15 pitch. Think it will make a difference ?

I've got a '95 Gulfstream 232. Recently repowered w/ twin Suzuki 175s. Props are SS 3x16x20. WOT with people and gear on board = 46 MPH. Agree that 225 ponies on a 232 is underpowered. Mine is rated for 350hp, which is why i went w/ the 2x175.

Ripple

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Short answer is call Ken Reeves after visiting his site, www.propgods.com

I am copying and pasting my email exchange and his recommendations. Good luck.

Hi Ken,
Heard a lot about you on two FB groups I belong to. One is for Grady White owners and the other is for Yamaha owners.

I’d like a better hole shot and better fuel economy if you think there is a prop out there to help.

2003 Grady White Gulfstream 232 with bottom paint. Single Yamaha 2003 F225TXRB in good shape with good compression, @870 hours.

Current prop is three blade stainless, 14 1/4 x 16. Manufacturer is unknown right now.

I cruise at @ 4600-4700rpm and do @ 24-30 mph depending on conditions, trim, and load. Usually run with full fuel tanks and two to four people, no extra gear.
WOT is about 5300 rpm and can get up to 35 mph. Frankly, don’t think I need to go faster because sea conditions don’t really allow it for a 23’ boat. However, I feel there is some “stretch” in the throttle cable, if there is such a thing, because once I reach 5300rpm, the throttle control can go forward a few more inches with no further increase in rpm. So I don’t know if I am actually getting to WOT, which I would think is closer to 6000rpm

What do you have to recommend? Cost and availability?
Is a four bladed prop in the mix?
We are in Florida.

KEN’S REPLY
The prop I like for that boat is the Quicksilver Q3 in 14 pitch, or if you don't really load up heavy with fuel and gear for fishing, you might be able to turn a 15.
Its the same propeller as the Mercury Enertia. cruises well, will accelerate stronger and you might even pick up 1 or 2 mph on top end.

Cost $599 plus 45 for a hub kit.
(after a couple of more exchanges where I was pushing for a four blade, here is what he recommended and I just got delivery today )

OFS4 in 14 pitch. $500. Don’t need to buy the hub kit. Good luck!

Dragging up

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi , all new member here . I have. 91 Grady 232 Gulf Stream with twin mill spec 2 stroke Johnson enforcers 175s, what would you recommend for props on that ? Thanks for any advice!

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Gulfstream with the same motor. Sorry but I don't what the prop is other than it's a 3 blade SS. It was dinged up a little so I had it overhauled this winter. Before overhaul I was getting about 36 MPH @ 5600 RPM. After overhaul, just over 37 MPH @ 5600-5700 RPM. Conditions were a little choppy for the 37 MPH run so I'm curious to see what flatass calm will be which was what the 36 MPH was under. Sounds like you may want to play with motor trim a bit. I find if I trim it just over "3" on the trim scale that works best. Hope this helps.