Prop Question 24' Explorer/Offshore???

Grayarea

Reaction score
Guys, Im getting some conflicting info. So I'd like to take a general
consensus of what size props your running. Im targeting the single 225/250 Hp Opti/Yamaha boats. Thanks!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an 88 offshore with a 88 225 Evinrude hung on th transom. This outboard had a 15x17" aluminum prop and would easily spin to 6000 rpm and top out at around 43 mph. This boat had no hardtop, single tank, no curtains, etc (not real heavy and not too much wind resistance)

I also had an 92 explorer with a 2000 250 Yamaha EFI. 15x17" ss Yamaha saltwater series prop would spin to 5700 at 42mph. I also tried a Michigan 143/4"? x 19" prop that was fine except for when the boat was heavily loaded. With a full load the boat took a long time to get on plane. With this prop I it would top out around 5500 an top speed was 4300. This boat had hardtop, bracket, full canvas, dual fuel tanks, etc.

Hope this helps

Grayarea

Reaction score
Prop Size

Thanks Scott, I'd hoped you would respond. Anybody else?? Ive got the
general idea that 15X17 would be a good starting point. The prop that was on there was a 15.75X15, and Ive spun 2 hubs this season. So Im starting from scratch. Any input would be appreciated. :D

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have a 2002 Islander, so the hull is a bit different. But we had a Yamaha 250HP OX66 when we purchased the boat and put 465 hours on it before we repowered with twins.

We had a Yamaha SWS 15.25" x 17" SS prop. It was, overall, a good choice for this boat and heavily-loaded engine. I did work with a local prop shop and tried quite a few other props, eventually purchasing a PowerTech OFS4 four-blade SS prop, in 17" pitch. We were still able to make the proper RPM at WOT, while gaining a LOT of bite and improved performance in all types of sloppy seas.

Brian