prop shaft seal

kevgle

Reaction score
Need to replace prop shaft seal.Looking for tips to remove the nut to access the seal.Checked online looks like I need a special tool.As always thanks for the help. Sorry about the bad picture.

Attachments

• 20240406_062916.jpg
    20240406_062916.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 16

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have never done it. If I remember correctly the manual has an elaborate procedure to replace it. When I talked to my mechanic he told me they hack the seal, pry it out and press a new one in. I suggest you talk to someone who does this often for advice and maybe have them do it.

seasick

Reaction score
There are two ways to remove the seal as mention by Hookup. One is to remove the big nut and the carrier assembly In addition to needing the special tools, note that the nut may not want to come out and may need a lot of heat and/or a chisel to break it into pieces. Even after the nut is removed, the carrier may be stuck and getting it out can be quite difficult. Another tool, a puller is needed and probably heat. So the bottom line is that it is possible to destroy parts when taking the carrier out.
The second approach is the hack again mentioned by Hookup. There are videos online showing different wats to 'pull' out the seal. A small hole can be drilled into the lip of the seat and then a drywall screw is carefully screwed into the hole. A tool like a vice grip is used to pull the seal out. The task can require multiple holes. You have to be extra careful not to scratch or score the prop shaft when tightening the screw, If the prop shaft gets scratched, it will leak even with a new seal and the prop shaft will have to be replaced ($$$$)

You didn't mention make model and year of the outdrive. Some LUs have two seals installed in opposite directions. One will have the metal lip facing out and is easier to drill but the other has the rubber lip facing out and you have to kind of butcher it to expose the metal lip.

kevgle

Reaction score
Definately not doing the hack.I borrowed a puller and will give it a shot.If i cant get it i will take it to a shop.Thanks for the replys.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like the smart option from where I sit.... Pics pls.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The marketing minds behind the "hack method" aren't doing themselves any favors with the name they gave to process. The method is perfectly acceptable and a much faster, safer way to go in the long run on an old, corroded, lower unit - IMO. The biggest risk is scratching the drive shaft, but it can be easily shielded with a small piece of soup or soda can. Ive done it twice on different LUs. No issues.
I'm really surprised no one has patented tools for this yet. So simple and a huge cost savings.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...hack-pulling-prop-oil-seals.html#post15723662

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The marketing minds behind the "hack method" aren't doing themselves any favors with the name they gave to process. The method is perfectly acceptable and a much faster, safer way to go in the long run on an old, corroded, lower unit - IMO. The biggest risk is scratching the drive shaft, but it can be easily shielded with a small piece of soup or soda can. Ive done it twice on different LUs. No issues.
I'm really surprised no one has patented tools for this yet. So simple and a huge cost savings.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...hack-pulling-prop-oil-seals.html#post15723662
I would say the procedure appropriately named! It even incorporates a coat hanger.

20210519_182653_6e01f3303a344972cabea21dbce2cc9860a76a05.jpeg