Prop thoughts

Acearcher

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 192
Hello,

I have picked up an older Grady in great condition and am looking forward to putting her to use. 19 foot Freedom model.

The boat currently has a 175 Evinrude with a 14 1/4 x 19 renegade offshore 4 blade prop on it.

I am not unhappy with its performance - 42 mph at Wot. If I remember correctly it’s hanging out at 30-31 mph around 4100 rpm (cruising speed)

I need another prop to keep as a spare on the boat, so thought I would get suggestions on something else. Are there props that would give better fuel perf at cruise? Am I better of with a three blade etc.

Thanks for any thoughts / recommendations.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You didn't say what your WOT RPMs were. Comparing that info with the Evinrude recommended top RPM range will give you an idea of what you need to do. Normally most folks figure that ideally you want to be in the upper 50% of the range recommended by the manufacturer.

steveditt

Reaction score
Check for help at Etec /Evinrude Forums E Nation or Barnacle Bill as discussed above, WTO RPMS is critical in determining correct prop and engine height

Acearcher

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 192
Again if I remember correctly wot rpms were right at 5500 mark.

I think a better way to ask my question would be, if I go with an appropriate 3 blade what sort of trade offs am I potentially looking at?

steveditt

Reaction score
Again if I remember correctly wot rpms were right at 5500 mark.

I think a better way to ask my question would be, if I go with an appropriate 3 blade what sort of trade offs am I potentially looking at?
Lots of topics and discussions about that on Etec sites