Propeller question

boslaw

Reaction score
I spun my prop hub this weekend and can’t figure out what to replace it with. The numbers on the prop are 13 3/4” x 17- M2. This is on a 1997 Yamaha saltwater series II 200HP.

I can’t seem to find a good replacement online. When I try the Yamaha prop selector, it suggests many sizes other than the one I have. To my knowledge, my prop is original factory for my boat (Grady 208).

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can easily have the hub replaced, much cheaper. Unless you are looking for a different prop and if so, your old prop still has value to someone.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree. Get it re-hubed. At least re-hub it and keep for a spare if you're wanting a new prop.

boslaw

Reaction score
meant to say, i can't find a replacement hub. it's a job i think i can do myself if i can find the right part

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Call a few prop shops, and ask how soon they can do it. That will tell you if hubs are available, or scarce.
True or false, I can't say, but I heard many years ago that honey was used as a lube for pressing hubs.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wouldn't try replacing a pressed-in hub unless I had someone from a prop shop to show me exactly how they do it. Replaceable hubs like Rubex, Flo Torq, or XHS are easy to do yourself. But the old pressed-in style hubs require special equipment and know-how.

We have several prop shops around here and some are a lot better at re-hubbing than others. You need hubs with the best material and the know-how to set them correctly. Some of the shops have high failure rates after re-hubbing. My point is that it is easy to screw this up.

Reactions: ElyseM

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good info here on Yamaha hubs. If you are in the area Admiral Propeller does excellent work.

https://acbprop.com/yamahub-htm/

Are you pulling 5500 when wide open with that prop? Just wondering why you are considering changing.

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Admiral has the best reputation for prop repairs and replacing hubs in my area.

seasick

Reaction score
I had my saltwater series prop rehubbed about 10 years ago. The insert may have been pressed in but it was also potted with something like urethane. I was told ( and did) wait 24 hours before installing the prop. While in the shop, I also had the prop reconditioned. If I remember correctly, it cost about $180 back then in the NY metro area. Prop ran great after the tunng and hub.

MOTW19

Reaction score
Model
Escape
I had the same propeller in mine boat that I sold recently, if I still remember correctly it is a 15 splines, shaft, the website Iboats has a menu were you can enter the data of your propeller , motor , and size of the boat and it will give you different propellers that match your set up, this has it all from cheap propeller in hundreds bucks to expensive ones stainless steel , the aluminum one work just fine if you choose the right insert for the splines, it will give you time to enjoy your boat while you recondition your original which it should be stainless steel even though yamaha paint them, has to prove it to some one before I even bring out a magnet that stick to it like boyfriend and girlfriend.
You can do the job yourself very easy , while taking your propeller to the shop, that will give like many mention before an spare.
Good luck