Propellor being used on 228G Seafarer and 250 Four Stroke

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had my new to me “Project” 1999 228G Seafarer in the water for the first time this weekend testing the 2012 DF250 Suzuki that I bought with 200 hrs on it. The prop that came with the motor is a four blade stainless 18 pitch by 14 3/8 Michigan Wheel Apollo. I ended up hitting the Rev limit as the alarm went off and the boat was a dog getting out of the hole. There were 2 of us in the boat and 400 litres of fuel with 250 litres in the back and 150 litres in the front tank. I have had boats all my life but this is the first Grady and a 22 ft boat so really not experienced with the DF250 and what pitch prop I should try next and whether to try a 3 blade stainless. Any suggestions from current Seafarer owners is very much appreciated, thank you! I should mention that I was running 30 mph at 5000 rpm trimmed up on a big lake here on Vancouver Island that had a slight ripple and a bit of a head wind.

Attachments

• F364A050-8AB4-4E0C-9BCD-DCD52D3C71A3.jpeg
    F364A050-8AB4-4E0C-9BCD-DCD52D3C71A3.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 22

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My gut says the motor is truly under propped. When I turn a 4 blade prop on 4.2 liter yamaha it's a power tech and it's 15.5 inch diameter prop. I think the pitch it's 16? The reason I say this is my prop was stolen 2 years ago when I repowered and stole my brand new motor. So, my memory is fuzzy, but KY Grady runs that exact same prop.

I know Suzuki has a different gear ratio than Yamaha. Regardless, I preferred the performance of the 4 blade prop on the 228. I may buy one this summer. My real advise of any use here is to call Ken at the Prop Gods and explain your situation and he can dial you in on the right prop. I would stick with the 4 blade prop because you get better handling at low and medium RPMs, better stern lift,better fuel economy at cruise, better turning performance and better following sea performance.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with what Smoky has told you. Ken at Prop Gods is fantastic and supper helpful.

The prop Smoky had stolen with his new F250 attached to, and the one I'm running from Ken's recommendation, is a 15 1/4 x 16 four blade. I've been extremely happy with it. Can run 41 @ 6000 rpm with my current F225. Pretty sure you are under propped with that wheel you are currently spinning.

Before you go changing things, reach out to Ken and get his thoughts first.

Reactions: JJMag

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the advice, I know it’s not an exact science between the a Yamaha and Suzuki’s

Even though not exact science, the end game is the same, getting you propped right. Give Ken the rundown of your current setup and see what comes out of it.

What hole is the Zuke mounted in on the bracket, to high and you could be blowing out and loosing bite and hitting rev limiter throwing the alarm. Even though an 18 pitch, the small diameter reduces blade size thereby allowing over spin and the alarm. Just tossing ideas out.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just got a reply from a buddy with the same boat and motor setup, his prop is a 16 x18 pitch 3 blade stainless and it seems to work great for him

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just got a reply from a buddy with the same boat and motor setup, his prop is a 16 x18 pitch 3 blade stainless and it seems to work great for him
Typically, when you increase the number of blades you drop the diameter but only no more than an inch. I think Zuke has a lower gear y'all can turn a bigger diameter prop. Ken knows the math and he can cipher it out for you better than I can.

The other side of this 3 blade v 4 blade prop is this. Most of us don't run WOT. It's nice to know you can hit 48 or 50 with the new big block motors but the reality of it all, how often do you get to do that? Me,I could do it every time I run Fontana Lake. However, on the ocean unless it's a hot stagnant July on the ocean under a strong Bermuda high, there is no way I am running WOT on most ocean trips. Most of the time I am in the 4s or when I coming into the inlet I am on that throttle tighter than the noose around Epstiens neck and I am looking for torque when I need it especially if the wave set up in the inlet gets sketchy.

This is where the 4 blade prop shines on the Grady. We have bracketed boats that are heavy for their size. You want and need low speed and mid-range torque and bite. The extra surface area especially in following seas tends to not blow out because if you think about it at least 50% of the prop will be in the water in potential blow out scenarios. It's easy to run the boat on the ICW or lake ,but if you go into the sea that's when you want that performance benefits of the 4 blade. Sure Grady specs the 3 blade on their new boats, but I and others can attest have the 4th blade makes a positive improvement on how that hull proforns in it's sweet spot areas. As one of my favorite captains of all time says, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there boss.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't have a Zuk in my 228G with hardtop, I may add my late model 228 is somewhat heavier than the older models, I owned an older 228 before so hard for me to compare my 250 4.2 Yam with your Zuk.
I know Zuks have offset driveshaft and a final gear ratio 2.29 to 1, my Yam is 1.75 to 1 and I know your Zuk is much heavier than mine.
Having the same HP I would think you want a much bigger pitch prop due to the gear ratio. I'm spinning a 17" ( diameter of the prop won't make much difference in spin rate) so at 6000 rpm ( recommended max ) my prop is doing 3428 rpm. Your 18" prop will be spinning 2620 when your motor is at 6000 rpm . Your prop is way too small your motor should be able to spin a much bigger prop and still achieve 6000 RPM. This is the reason you are hitting the rev limiter so easy, from memory that motor has a 6300 rev limit?
It is trial and error but I would start with a 21" pitch and see how many RPM you get at full song and trimmed out . As a rule 4 blade props will give you better holeshot and 3 blades better top end everything else being equal.
That motor was probably on a twin set up and much bigger boat hence the 18" prop.
Interesting to know what prop you end up with, others would know what prop to use on their 228's if they re-power with Zuk.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Interestingly enough the Suzuki came off a 2550 Pursuit where the guide podded and repowered with twin Yamaha 150’s without ever putting the boat in the water, he felt the single 250 was underpowered for some reason for the Pursuit. I will give the Suzuki dealer a call to see what they recommend, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I don't have a Zuk in my 228G with hardtop, I may add my late model 228 is somewhat heavier than the older models, I owned an older 228 before so hard for me to compare my 250 4.2 Yam with your Zuk.
I know Zuks have offset driveshaft and a final gear ratio 2.29 to 1, my Yam is 1.75 to 1 and I know your Zuk is much heavier than mine.
Having the same HP I would think you want a much bigger pitch prop due to the gear ratio. I'm spinning a 17" ( diameter of the prop won't make much difference in spin rate) so at 6000 rpm ( recommended max ) my prop is doing 3428 rpm. Your 18" prop will be spinning 2620 when your motor is at 6000 rpm . Your prop is way too small your motor should be able to spin a much bigger prop and still achieve 6000 RPM. This is the reason you are hitting the rev limiter so easy, from memory that motor has a 6300 rev limit?
It is trial and error but I would start with a 21" pitch and see how many RPM you get at full song and trimmed out . As a rule 4 blade props will give you better holeshot and 3 blades better top end everything else being equal.
That motor was probably on a twin set up and much bigger boat hence the 18" prop.
Interesting to know what prop you end up with, others would know what prop to use on their 228's if they re-power with Zuk.

Hi Wxrhoon,
Not to get into a huge debate but in my experience the 228 handles slow speed manuevering better especially in reverse around the dock with a 4 blade prop. I also saw noticable improvement in following seas especially in moving through an inlet with standing waves and needing to slow down and time your approaches between waves and such. Also, we use our boat to pull toys from time to time on the lake and a 4 blade prop holds a tight turn better at speed. I also got about 10% better fuel economy at cruise with my old yamaha 3.3 liter f250.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Interestingly enough the Suzuki came off a 2550 Pursuit where the guide podded and repowered with twin Yamaha 150’s without ever putting the boat in the water, he felt the single 250 was underpowered for some reason for the Pursuit. I will give the Suzuki dealer a call to see what they recommend, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!
Don, I can not emphasize enough to call Ken at Prop Gods. You want a true prop guru on this and not a random Suzuki dealer. He knows his stuff.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm only on my second GW, but I'll chime in my support for 4 bladed props. Mine was a 1994 Seafarer 226 w/Yamaha 225 and when I replaced a three blade uncupped with a 4 blade PowerTech Offshore the difference was hard to imagine. Gas mileage way up, top speed way up, engine rpm cruising @ 30 mph way down.

My "new" 272 has a pair of 3 blade cupped and raked Yamahas that look good, but if they aren't everything I want then the Powertech is soon to come...

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Do you guys know if Ken has an email address? I tried to see on his website but can’t seem to find one, thanks.

Ken Reeves
(941) 735-5808
kr@propgods.com

I have an Adventure 208 with a Suzuki DF250AP and am looking at switching to a 4 blade. Talked to Ken and he recommended a PowerTech LFS (16” diameter) in an 18” pitch since I’ll be running in the ocean and likely will never even see a scenario where I can max my boat out to see what WOT rpms are.

Also called PowerTech and their service person did some calculations and came up with - calculate 19.8”pitch (recommend 19) for a 50 mph boat. Given my Adventure is shorter/lighter you could probably go with a 17” LFS4. The phone number for PowerTech is (800) 736-7767

I’d call/email Ken to be sure. Include the boat hull/year, engine model/year, any current performance numbers, and any goals you have (better hole shot/lower plane speed/rpms/etc.).

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Awesome thank you for this information! What an awesome website!

One more thing. Please note whether you have a DF250 or DF250AP (with the electronic throttle). The final drive ratios and rpm range are different enough to affect what prop you select.

DF250AP
DCFFFB56-3CF2-44F7-83AC-59C90ECF1EE1.jpeg

DF250
09BCDA02-5B6E-4FDE-ADA4-CE0FC2E0921F.jpeg

UCPA111

Reaction score
+1 for calling Ken. He helped me with my 300 Verado on Seafarer. My outboard dealer was not much help....installed a used 3 blade. Was fast but not great on the launch and not hitting appropriate RPMs. When from 19P 3 blade to 17P 4 blade and it is fantastic. Rev4 is the prop I have. Hooks up, nice lift, great cruise, and still can get to 50 on flat water.