proper trolling kicker size

roughrider123

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a kicker for my 204-C and need some hp suggestions. I'll be fishing lake ontario with it and don't want to underpower the boat. I am also mindful of added weight dropping my scuppers too low. I have a 150 yamie 2 stroke main and want to add seperate steering and trim/lift to kicker. I would like to add a 4 stroke yamie as my kicker. Trolling speeds up to 4mph needed. Thanks for any input.

Roughrider out.

dduflo

Reaction score
Why the kicker?? With a 4Stroke you will probably need a seperate fuel tank which adds even more weight. From a safety point of view the vast majority of problems are fuel related so keep your filters clean and, if you don't already have one, install a quality water separater. Carry a handheld VHF as a backup to your primary radio and if you never shut your motor off you will avoid any restarting issues. Because both of my motors are tied into my Garmin Autopilot they idle all day, usually with only 1 in gear, and you will be surprised how little fuel you use. Good luck with your new boat.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If he wants to troll below 4 mph, he needs a kicker.

The Yamaha T8 was the best trolling kicker ever made. It has been replaced by the T9.9.

They use large diameter low pitch props that provide much more thrust than standard models. This lets you troll at very slow speeds while running smooth. A 9.9 will push you past 4 mph with your hull.

cedarholm

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
If he wants to troll below 4 mph, he needs a kicker.

The Yamaha T8 was the best trolling kicker ever made. It has been replaced by the T9.9.

They use large diameter low pitch props that provide much more thrust than standard models. This lets you troll at very slow speeds while running smooth. A 9.9 will push you past 4 mph with your hull.

Yep, that's the one. Be sure to get power trim/tilt. I put my T8 on a solid welded aluminum bracket.

Sounds like you're going for salmon. I also put a ring around my prop. (To keep out fishing lines.)

Tied fuel line in right off my Racor head.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I have a 94 208 with a Johnson 175 2 stroke that is probably similar to your boat. I originally had a Yamaha T9.9 and it would push the boat to 6 mph at WOT, I have a T8 with power tilt now and still get the same 6 mph. If your 150 is oil injected you can just plumb the kicker into your existing tank and fuel filter. I started out with a Garelick heavy duty adjustable mounting bracket but never really felt comfortable with it, I swapped it out for a fixed mount and like it a lot better.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have an Adventure 208 with a Yamaha 225 2 stroke. THe kicker is a 9.9 yamaha and it get me up to 6.5 at WOT under calm conditions. The fuel line is from the main tank. I don't think you want to troll at 4 mph with a 2-stroke.

antaris

Reaction score
FYI I also have a 208 with F225 main and an F15 kicker - with separate fuel tank (for safety). I get speeds of up to 5knots and a lot of vibration and noise... it sits on a stainless bracket on my port side. A real PITA to deploy... wish there was a simpler method (or electric Tilt/trim).

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I got mine used so it was already set up. the kicker is mounted on a gear drive MinnKota tilt trim. It used to have a switch in the cockpit to raise and lower it but the relay was fried when I got it and haven't been able to find one. the wires are now jerry-rigged with alligator clips that are in the battery box. Clip to battery post one way and the motor trims up, the other way and it goes down. There are other tilt/trims that should do the job as I don't think they make mine anymore. One I was looking at to replace it is a TH Marine Atlas Series 35HP electric hydraulic tilt and trim. List price around $680.00