Prostatic

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Could anybody give me there thoughts of going out and how far would go if you had ( 2 ) Prosthetic legs and what would you bring prepaid. I have both legs off below knee

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Only you can answer that question. How comfortable are YOU with going out? Are you talking solo or with a crew? If you loose balance and fall in, can you get back to the boat and get in on your own? Your situation is very unique and anything we can tell you is in reference to our situation. Life jacket worn 100% and a PLB on your person is at least a minimum for you. A ditch bag with an EPIRB and handheld VHF is also a great thing to have too. Also have a float plan inplace and stick to it, make sure someone on land knows where you're going so if something happens, Search and rescue has a place to start. Sounds morbid, but the sea is unforgiving if you're not somewhat prepared.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
By
Only you can answer that question. How comfortable are YOU with going out? Are you talking solo or with a crew? If you loose balance and fall in, can you get back to the boat and get in on your own? Your situation is very unique and anything we can tell you is in reference to our situation. Life jacket worn 100% and a PLB on your person is at least a minimum for you. A ditch bag with an EPIRB and handheld VHF is also a great thing to have too. Also have a float plan inplace and stick to it, make sure someone on land knows where you're going so if something happens, Search and rescue has a place to start. Sounds morbid, but the sea is unforgiving if you're not somewhat prepared.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks again I never go alone always have life vest on have the electronic s I just wanted some other ideas And I love fishing , boating Thanks for your input friend

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Like KY said, only you and your doctor can fully answer your question. If I was in your shoes, fit and young I would go but never alone . I see you are 58, if you are fit and healthy besides the legs consult your doctor.
I never go alone unless in the bay, always go with at least one other maybe 2 and max 3.
If you decide to go pick your days and go when the weather is kinder.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great for you. I fish solo quite a bit. For me, I always have the inflatable life jacket on with the PLB attached. I'm fortunate here that I rarely have to venture more than a few miles offshore. And my wife has, if not exactly a float plan, a time by which to call the Coast Guard if she doesn't get an "I'm back at the marina" call from me.

May be getting too personal, but Coast Guard says on most guys they recover, their fly is open. So while Grady's have great toe rails, for days that turn unexpectedly bumpy, a dedicated bucket might be a lifesaver.

Reactions: PointedRose

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For #1 you can use the Bilge BUT what do (you )do for #2

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fits over a 5 gallon bucket...

• Portable Toilet Bucket Toilet Seat Set for Camping Boating Outdoor - Potty Waste Bags and Case - 5 Gallon Buckets

Portable Toilet Bucket Toilet Seat Set for Camping Boating Outdoor - Potty Waste Bags and Case - 5 Gallon Buckets​

Price:$35.99 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns

DURABLE, STURDY & COMFORTABLE: This portable toilet for camping and emergencies has an ergonomic design which means you can feel almost right at home, even in the middle of nowhere. This portable toilet seat is strong and will not bend or buckle. Our bucket seat lid 5 gallon toilet top is portable and light-weight yet sturdy enough to be comfortable. This camping toilet seat for bucket securely snaps onto the pail making it more comfortable and safer to use. Perfect as a camping toilet and more!

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last year I would see a guy every weekend at our ramp who was in a wheelchair. He wouldn't pilot the boat, but he went out, every single time.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm guessing he meant the overboard scupper drains...

Bilge would be harder to aim for in a rockin sea!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reminds me of the old Richard Pryor joke.

two guys are pissing off a dock, one from California says, “this water sure is cold“. One from Arkansas says, “yeah, and it’s deep too”.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I fish with a friend who is confined to a wheelchair. He does have a custom 38 ft boat but I admire his courage. We do a lot of the work but he frequently takes 100 mile offshore trips to the Hudson Canyon for tuna and even ran his boat down to NC for the winter tuna season once. If he can do it you can. Good luck to you..

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
For #1 you can use the Bilge BUT what do (you )do for #2
We're about the same age, I'm 59. I plan on leaving my house at 5am for a 6am launch. That means I get up at 3:45, make some coffee, take a dump or two, I'm good to go out on the boat. #1, piss over the rail or in a 5 gallon bucket and dump it over the edge.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be going out with someone else and both I and the someone else would be able to be captain. So that means everyone knows how to launch, run the boat, is familiar with the boats controls, if it has a Man Overboard system, know how that works, know where the throw bag/throw ring is and be ready to use them, PFDs all the time, can dock it, etc.

Lots of times I hear "I wouldn't go alone" but I don't hear "Both of us can do anything and everything on the boat".

While I'm being Mr Know-It-All, I have to admit I've taken lots of people out who didn't know squat and I've not tried to teach them. I need to get better at that.

Good luck and I 100% share your love of fishing, I still have my legs but I have screwed up feet, I used to backpack and fly fish for decades but that is not in the cards for me any more. So I switched to ocean fishing and I *love* it. There is something so primal, so satisfying, about putting food on the table for your family that you caught. Ocean all the way for that, fresh water is cool but I get more meat in one trip on the ocean than I'd get all year from fresh water.