Protection Package with new boat..

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Did anyone buy (and not regret) a dealer supplied protection package with their new boat? My dealer is trying to sell me a $2500 ceramic wax and vinyl protectant, and a 84month extended engine warranty (again, $2500) for the two F200's. I would usually decline but thought I'd reach out and ask you all for advice.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A. What are the details of the ceramic wax and vinyl protectant? Or I guess, what are you getting for paying them $2,500? B. Are you saying they're going to extend your engine warranty an extra 84 months on top of the standard 3 year warranty for Yamaha, or I'm assuming it's 84 months total? I'd definitely consider the extended warranty for the outboards and if I were to pick only one, it would definitely be that one. 84 months is 7 years and a lot can happen with outboards in 7 years, even just with your normal routine maintenance. and C. I'm assuming you're buying the 257 Fisherman in your signature, which is what... close to a $200k+ boat? What's the difference in adding another $2,500 extended warranty on the engines? I can definitely see that as money better spent than over the ceramic wax and vinyl protectant... but that's just my opinion. I'm sure someone else will come along soon and give you a better answer than I can but for $2,500 I'd definitely consider the extended engine warranty.

seasick

Reaction score
I usually avoid any extended warranty packages on products.. I will not get an extended coverage package on an appliance unless the plan is offered by the manufacturer. In other words, no third parties.
At a minimum ask for a copy of the contract to take home and read. If they say no there is a reason:)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
At a minimum ask for a copy of the contract to take home and read. If they say no there is a reason:)
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Check what is covered by the extended warranty ( probably insurance policy with very limited cover) .
I never buy extended warranties on anything but we are a little different in Australia because we have consumer warranty that is implied on any consumer goods or services ( came in 2011).
I don't buy protection either, if you need it you can usually get it done cheaper, cut the middle man.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yamaha makes great engines. Despite that, $2500 (for the pair??) for 7 years of warranty coverage sounds like a good deal to me.

If there is any chance of you selling the boat (privately) within those 7 years, that warranty will pay for itself.
If you're intending to keep it the whole 7 years, how do you feel about surprise repair bills in years 3-7?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk