Puerto Rico Fishing question

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK - I know this is a long shot - but it never hurts to ask....

We are taking the kids to a town called Fajardo on the East Coast of Puerto Rico. It is close to the island of Vieques. We will be there during the first week of March.

Has anybody been fishing down there? Any pointers? Anybody know a good guide?

I want to attempt tarpon or bonefishing while we are there....

Any halfway related advice is welcome... heck, unrelated advice is welcome too. Thanks!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My wife and I booked a charter for offshore there a few years ago (offshore there is around the corner out only a few miles from shore) -
Not quite the quality of boats that we are used too - but the mates worked hard and we caught fish - mostly baracuda but still fun!
I remember that it wasnt hard at all to find a charter - you should be able to do the same - not sure how good the bone fishing is there -
Tim

striped bass

Reaction score
White Horses:

Good question! We are not going as far away as you. We are going to Charleston, S.C. for a month and have the same question. We would appreciate any suggestions or tips for what fish to catch, charter boat fishing and where the best spots are.

Thanks for any suggestions.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I booked a half-day trip with a local guide named Marcos Hanke. He says they have been doing pretty well with tarpon. I'm going to go out with him early in the week - maybe I will learn something... :wink: