Pulled her out and had her Winterized last weekend! :(

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
So took my boat to a pretty reputable boat mechanic in our area. I know several people that have used them and they have never had an issue. Last year I did my other two boats myself but this year I just one I haven't even started and my new to me Grady I just didn't feel like fooling with it. So I guess something that I would have assumed that would have been included was not. Here below is a copy of what was done. After I got home I immediately called and asked was the water/fuel separator filter changed. NOPE...I mean why wouldn't they have changed this as well? I have another one and I am going ahead and replacing it but am I wrong to assume this would have been included in just about a $400 service winterization service?

Anyway she is sitting on the trailer all covered up until spring comes! Merry Christmas all!

OIL 10W30 4 STROKE OB GL
1$28.92
YAMAHA WASHER GASKET SIE184698
2$4.50
OIL 10W30 4 STROKE OB QT
2$17.24
OIL FILTER YAMAHA/SUZUKI
1$9.93
SHOP SUPPLIES/ CONSUMABLES
1$10.00
GEAR LUBE
1$13.99
STABIL - WINTERIZE
1$10.99
FUEL FILTER-YM#6D8-WS24A-00-00
1$24.10
Winterize 4 stroke
- flush engine
- change engine oil and filter
- drain and refill gear case
- replace fuel filter
- remove prop & lubricate shaft..reinstall prop
- lubricate all grease fittings
- fog engine & spray down with CRC 656
- add fuel stabilizer
- disconnect battery
1$262.50
Total $389.35

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There are two schools of thoughts on that, I suppose. Replace it "just because" or wait till there's an issue since it's a simple job and can be done on the water. Even replacing it every year doesn't mean it won't clog up quickly - if you get water in there (failed gas cap seal, for example) a new one will clog up awful fast, too.

But, in reality, it DOES NOT need to be replaced every year. When's the last time you replaced the fuel filter on your car? While there's nothing wrong with replacing them every year - especially if your is only a $10 or $15 filter - going every 3 years is a safe bet. But again, there's worse things to do than replace a filter every year "just because". :)

Case in point... I installed a simple vacuum gauge on my filter head to easily monitor filter health. I'll be going on either my 4th or 5th season with the same filter. FYI, I check my engine-mounted filter every year - have yet to replace that, either. In theory, that should last even longer since the boat-mounted filter is protecting the engine-mounted filter.

For me, it's not about saving the money (filters are cheap) - I just don't want to waste a good filter "just because". Others feel better replacing them every year - and I say "Hey, if you feel more comfortable doing that, go for it." It's all about what's right for you - not what's right for me or anyone else.

If they would have replaced it, your bill just would have been $X more expensive, that's all!

I'll add... it may also depend on the area you boat. If you boat in a high humidity area year round, it would probably be a better idea to replace every year as a precaution. But again, that's my opinion. ;)

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
There are two schools of thoughts on that, I suppose. Replace it "just because" or wait till there's an issue since it's a simple job and can be done on the water. Even replacing it every year doesn't mean it won't clog up quickly - if you get water in there (failed gas cap seal, for example) a new one will clog up awful fast, too.

But, in reality, it DOES NOT need to be replaced every year. When's the last time you replaced the fuel filter on your car? While there's nothing wrong with replacing them every year - especially if your is only a $10 or $15 filter - going every 3 years is a safe bet. But again, there's worse things to do than replace a filter every year "just because". :)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I thought the water/fuel separator filters were supposed to be replaced more often which is why I made the comment. I have the 10-Micron Fuel Water filter spin on Yamaha. From what I have read you have to replace them after every 50 hours and at least once a year.

Anyway it's not a big deal I spin the old one off dab a bit of oil and spin the new one on...pretty simple. Just needed to complain about something! lol

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I thought the water/fuel separator filters were supposed to be replaced more often which is why I made the comment. I have the 10-Micron Fuel Water filter spin on Yamaha. From what I have read you have to replace them after every 50 hours and at least once a year.
Yeah, pretty much all of the manufacturer's have a VERY "CYA" recommendation for filter replacement - especially since the intro of ethanol and the findings of issues related to that. CYA being the key word there...

Reactions: INSURANCEMAN

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When you change it, pour it out into a clear quart jar and see if you have any water. If not, you can feel more comfortable extending the interval. We get a lot of condensation down here in FL and I often see an inch of water.

Reactions: INSURANCEMAN