Pulling Prop Shaft Housings

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Sparkdog, I once had a Yami 150 worked on and they used heat to remove the bearing carrier. Mechanic told me he uses a Merc coating when installing the carrier so it can be removed next time. Does this sound reasonable? Sorry, I did not ask him what product he used. Just wondering.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Ah. Ok. Remove the spring around the clutch dog. Be sure to mark the prop end if it isn’t marked by the factory. Remove the clutch. Take the gear off the shaft and there is a spammer nut behind the gear that screws out. Don’t worry, not a left hand thread. Then the shaft will come out of the housing.
https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard-by-year/2005/lf225txrd/lower-casing-drive-3

What is the name of that spanner wrench; where can I get one? Google failed me...

Good news, the other one came out easy.
20200531_205915.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sparkdog, I once had a Yami 150 worked on and they used heat to remove the bearing carrier. Mechanic told me he uses a Merc coating when installing the carrier so it can be removed next time. Does this sound reasonable? Sorry, I did not ask him what product he used. Just wondering.
He probably used Quicksilver perfect seal. It is like a soft gasket sealer that resists salt. I use the 847 3m. It is like a liquid rubber that seals well and also comes apart well. I usually use quicksilver 2-4C grease on the carrier just behind the prop and 847 for the oil sealing o ring.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I can't believe it's taken this long (since April), but after parts chasing for days, then multiple back-orders, look what came today!20200706_191146.jpg

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Very cool. You can finally put together a lower unit. Sometimes parts can be a bear.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Very cool. You can finally put together a lower unit. Sometimes parts can be a bear.
Yeah, put it together and set it on the shelf... I need 2 power heads, or need to get busy re-building them.... Haven't found a machine shop to take them on yet.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh no. That’s terrible. I remember now. The corrosion issue got both of your motors. Hope you can find someone to weld them up and get them cooking again.